Tragedy parents appeal for witnesses

PARENTS of a cyclist who could have been the victim of a hit-and-run accident today made a heartfelt plea for witnesses to come forward.

PARENTS of a cyclist who could have been the victim of a hit-and-run accident today made a heartfelt plea for witnesses to come forward.

Wayne Curtis, 25, was killed at around 5.30am on February 25 while cycling along the A14 at Top Hill, Haughley, near Stowmarket.

Speaking after the inquest into their son's death, Philip and Yvette Curtis, of Kipling Way, Stowmarket, spoke of their need for their questions to be answered.

Mr Curtis said: "Now so many months have passed since the accident, we would like to move on. But until we do find out more, we can't do that fully.

You may also want to watch:

"There must be people who have not come forward who know something about this."

Norwich City fan Wayne was killed as he cycled to work Diaper's poultry factory, in Haughley.

Most Read

Yesterday's inquest, held at Shire Hall, Bury St Edmunds, heard that three drivers had run over Wayne's motionless body, which was lying in the middle of the westbound A14.

His silver and orange bike, which was just one week old, was also found on the carriageway near to Wayne.

All three drivers stopped to after the accident, but accident investigator Pc Derek Baldry is convinced that a fourth vehicle was involved.

He said: "I'm convinced there was an earlier accident.

"Wayne appeared to be already lying in the road motionless when he was hit by these other drivers. There is clearly evidence that a fourth vehicle was involved, yet our efforts to trace that vehicle have proved fruitless."

Pc Baldry pointed to the fact that a piece of plastic, which didn't belong to any of the vehicles or Wayne's bicycle, was found under his body. There was also a fresh scratch mark on the road that could not be explained.

Police are still hoping to trace the driver of a white Vauxhall Astra car and two articulated Dutch lorries, which were seen in the area minutes before the crash. None of the vehicles stopped at the scene.

Greater Suffolk coroner Peter Dean, who recorded a verdict of accidental death, said: "We do have very real evidence that an earlier accident had taken place but the circumstances around that accident are still unanswered.

"The family need answers, the police need answers, we all need to know. This is an opportunity for people to come forward and assist."

Wayne was said to have died from "multiple injuries" that were almost certainly "instantaneously fatal".

If anyone has any information about the accident, they are asked to call Roy Dade, of Bury St Edmunds police, on 01284 774224.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter