Train delays after bridge crash
RAIL commuters suffered rush hour delays after a car crashed into a bridge in Bury St Edmunds.Eleven services between Ipswich and Peterborough and Ipswich and Cambridge were disrupted by yesterday's crash.
By Georgina James
RAIL commuters suffered rush hour delays after a car crashed into a bridge in Bury St Edmunds.
Eleven services between Ipswich and Peterborough and Ipswich and Cambridge were disrupted by yesterday's crash.
Delays were caused while maintenance engineers checked the structure of the bridge following the accident in Orwell Road at 4.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
In total, six services were terminated before reaching their destination, one service was cancelled and four trains were delayed.
Passengers on trains which could not complete their journey, were stopped at Bury St Edmunds and were taken by road for the remainder of their journey.
- 1 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 2 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 3 NHS confirms new Ipswich 'super-surgery' should open in 2024
- 4 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 5 'The village already can't cope' - Concerns over 114-home plan
- 6 Kesgrave shooting: Teen who tried to kill friend set to be sentenced
- 7 Town centre delays following accident
- 8 'Extra-cautionary' Covid measures reintroduced at Kesgrave High
- 9 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 10 Rick Wakeman joins Ipswich Hospital Band as Patron
A spokesman for Anglia Railways said: "Eleven trains in total were disrupted by yesterday's crash and unfortunately this was during our busiest part of the day."