Travellers could be evicted
BAILIFFS could be hired to evict two groups of travellers who have settled in parts of south east Ipswich, it was revealed today.A spokesman for Ipswich Borough Council said the authority's legal department had issued proceedings to remove the groups.
BAILIFFS could be hired to evict two groups of travellers who have settled in parts of south east Ipswich, it was revealed today.
A spokesman for Ipswich Borough Council said the authority's legal department had issued proceedings to remove the groups.
Around five caravans parked up on a patch of heath land between the Ravenswood estate and Alnesbourn Priory earlier this week, while a separate set of travellers are currently stationed on the old Four-O-Five sports ground in nearby Bader Close.
There are around a dozen caravans and motor homes on the site, which has lain derelict for several years.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokesman said: “We are issuing proceedings today.
“A hearing application will be next Tuesday or Wednesday depending on what the court gives us.
- 1 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 2 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 3 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 6 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 7 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 8 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 9 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 10 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
“Assuming we get the order we will then ask bailiffs to evict them at the earliest possible date.”
A spokesman for the travellers based near Ravenswood said they had come to Suffolk from Colchester and claimed they would be leaving the county tomorrow .
He said one of their vehicles had developed mechanical problems and the group had stopped while repairs took place.