Tribute to crash victim
A CLOSE friend of Malcolm Cheney who died in a road crash has today spoken of her grief.Mr Cheney, 62, of Radcliffe Road, Ipswich, was killed in a collision on the A12 at Benhall on Friday, June 4.
A CLOSE friend of Malcolm Cheney who died in a road crash has today spoken of her grief.
Mr Cheney, 62, of Radcliffe Road, Ipswich, was killed in a collision on the A12 at Benhall on Friday, June 4.
Jan McGeachie had known Mr Cheney for 20 years, from the time when her daughters grew up with his girls in Ipswich.
Mrs McGeachie, formerly of Hawthorn Drive, Ipswich, but now living in Yorkshire, told the Evening Star: "When I heard, I just walked around stunned. I couldn't believe it."
You may also want to watch:
Mrs McGeachie moved to Felixstowe after she split from her husband three years ago, but still keeps strong links with the Cheney family.
They attended her church blessing in Felixstowe last year and just last month, she saw Mr Cheney, who is famed for founding the St Francis Trivia Quiz, when her daughter was a bridesmaid at his daughter's wedding.
- 1 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 2 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 3 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 4 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 5 The 10 most Instagrammable spots in Ipswich - is your favourite on the list?
- 6 New home developments boost Ipswich's 'connected town' ambition
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
- 9 See inside 5 of the most expensive dream homes in Ipswich
- 10 Christmas in July! Ipswich friends host summer festive feast
"He was his usual self," she said. "He was a lovely man. He was always quiet and softly spoken. He was very supportive when me and my husband split up and Joan (his wife) has been very supportive recently."
She added: "My thoughts are with Joan and the family – it must be hard. I know how hard it was to separate from my ex-husband, so it must be even harder for them."
Her sadness follows that of Mr Cheney's neighbours who also remembered a quiet family man.
Linda Hawes, of Didsbury Close, said Mr Cheney had lived in Radcliffe Road for about 26 years and added: "He was the type of neighbour you would want, quiet and not interfering."
Police are still investigating the accident. Anyone with any information, should contact Pc Ian Hicks at Halesworth Traffic Unit on 01986 835350
Would you like to pay tribute to Mr Cheney? Contact the Evening Star newsdesk on 01473 324789.