Tributes paid to tragic Suffolk teenager
TRIBUTES have today been paid to a Suffolk teenager who drowned in a swimming pool accident on a family holiday.Ashley Surtees, 17, of Stowmarket, died on Wednesday after an accident at a hotel swimming pool in Gran Canaria.
TRIBUTES have today been paid to a Suffolk teenager who drowned in a swimming pool accident on a family holiday.
Ashley Surtees, 17, of Stowmarket, died on Wednesday after an accident at a hotel swimming pool in Gran Canaria.
It is believed he was on holiday with his family and teenage girlfriend, also of Stowmarket.
Ashley went to Stowmarket Middle School before moving on to high school in Bury St Edmunds. He had just completed a bricklaying course at Otley College.
A spokesman for the college said: “He was very successful at college. He had completed a foundation certificate in bricklaying qualification and wanted to come back on a work-based apprenticeship, so we had been trying to find him a job.
“He was a really nice, genuine, quiet and conscientious student who had represented the college at the Suffolk Show this year.”
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 4 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 5 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 6 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 7 Hunt for Vicky's killer continues nearly six months after suspect arrested
- 8 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
- 9 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 10 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women
Ashley revealed details about himself on the Bebo social networking internet site. He called himself Ash and listed his hobbies as biking, running and fishing.
His friends have paid dozens of tributes on the site, where he is described as “a great mate” and “one of the best blokes”.
Kadie Jones wrote: “I just wanna say that I'm gonna miss u so much and so is everyone else who was in your life. You will never be forgotten.
“You're loved by everyone and in my heart you're still here with us!”
And Kat Clarke wrote: “You are gonna be missed by everyone. You were loved very much by all and will certainly never be forgotten.”
A newspaper in the area where the accident happened said the resort was Playa del Ingles. It said the emergency services attended the scene but could not resuscitate the youngster.
It is believed his family returned to Stowmarket yesterday.
The Foreign Office said today: “We can confirm the death of a British national minor on Wednesday. His next of kin are aware and we are providing consular assistance.
“It was a drowning accident at a hotel swimming pool.”
Would you like to pay tribute to Ashley? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com.