Two jewellers broken into in Felixstowe on Christmas Day
- Credit: Archant
Two jewellers in Felixstowe were broken into last night. Police have praised the members of the public who helped detain the suspect at the scene.
Police were called to several reports of a burglary at Gorgeous Jewels and Boreham Christopher, which are next door to each other in Hamilton Road, at 11pm last night (Christmas Day), a Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said.
When police arrived, they found that the windows had been smashed.
The force spokesman said that the suspect was found inside one of the stores. Both officers and members of the public helped detain the suspect, the spokesman said. Officers were assaulted during the incident but were not seriously injured, police confirmed.
The suspect has been arrested on suspicion of burglary.
You may also want to watch:
It is not believed that any items were stolen from the two jewellers. Enquiries will continue this morning.
Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident, the force spokesman said.
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 4 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 5 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 6 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 7 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 8 Ipswich reports England's highest rise in Covid infection rate
- 9 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 10 Budding musician caught with drugs in buttocks is spared prison
The incident was reported to police by members of the public and due to security alarms.
The force spokesman said: “We were pleased that members of the public assisted officers by reporting the incident and assisting officers at the scene.”
The owners of both jewellers have been contacted by police.
• A 21-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of burglary by police investigating the incident and has been taken into custody for questioning.