UK: House belonging to pop veteran Sir Cliff Richard is searched over an historic sex allegation
- Credit: PA
Police are searching a property belonging to Sir Cliff Richard in relation to the alleged sexual assault of a boy in the 1980s.
South Yorkshire Police said it has entered a property in Sunningdale, Berkshire, after receiving an allegation of a sexual nature dating back to the 1980s involving a boy who was under 16 at the time. Nobody has been arrested.
According to the BBC, the property belongs to veteran star Sir Cliff.
The pop star has dismissed the allegation as “completely false”.
He said: “For many months I have been aware of allegations against me of historic impropriety which have been circulating online.
You may also want to watch:
“The allegations are completely false. Up until now I have chosen not to dignify the false allegations with a response, as it would just give them more oxygen.
“However, the police attended my apartment in Berkshire today without notice, except it would appear to the press.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 7 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
“I am not presently in the UK but it goes without saying that I will cooperate fully should the police wish to speak to me.
“Beyond stating that today’s allegation is completely false it would not be appropriate to say anything further until the police investigation has concluded.”
In a statement, South Yorkshire Police said: “South Yorkshire Police has gained entry to a property in the Sunningdale area of Berkshire.
“Officers are currently searching the property. A search warrant was granted after police received an allegation of a sexual nature dating back to the 1980s involving a boy who was under the age of 16 at the time.
“No one has been arrested and the owner of the property was not present.”
The search is not connected to Scotland Yard’s Operation Yewtree, launched in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal.