UK: House belonging to pop veteran Sir Cliff Richard is searched over an historic sex allegation
- Credit: PA
Police are searching a property belonging to Sir Cliff Richard in relation to the alleged sexual assault of a boy in the 1980s.
South Yorkshire Police said it has entered a property in Sunningdale, Berkshire, after receiving an allegation of a sexual nature dating back to the 1980s involving a boy who was under 16 at the time. Nobody has been arrested.
According to the BBC, the property belongs to veteran star Sir Cliff.
The pop star has dismissed the allegation as “completely false”.
He said: “For many months I have been aware of allegations against me of historic impropriety which have been circulating online.
“The allegations are completely false. Up until now I have chosen not to dignify the false allegations with a response, as it would just give them more oxygen.
“However, the police attended my apartment in Berkshire today without notice, except it would appear to the press.
- 1 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 2 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 3 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 4 'Incredibly proud': 11-year-old saves classmate choking on chicken nugget
- 5 'We're lucky to get her back' - Drone finds missing Pinky after 17 days
- 6 Alleyway near Ipswich town centre remains sealed off after serious assault
- 7 Two arrests made following stabbing
- 8 Cricket club praises ambulance service after player collapses in the field
- 9 Ford Transit van destroyed in suspected arson attack
- 10 Travellers move on from Chantry Park in Ipswich
“I am not presently in the UK but it goes without saying that I will cooperate fully should the police wish to speak to me.
“Beyond stating that today’s allegation is completely false it would not be appropriate to say anything further until the police investigation has concluded.”
In a statement, South Yorkshire Police said: “South Yorkshire Police has gained entry to a property in the Sunningdale area of Berkshire.
“Officers are currently searching the property. A search warrant was granted after police received an allegation of a sexual nature dating back to the 1980s involving a boy who was under the age of 16 at the time.
“No one has been arrested and the owner of the property was not present.”
The search is not connected to Scotland Yard’s Operation Yewtree, launched in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal.