Uncertainty over foundation status
A CLEARER idea about what foundation status will bring to patients is needed before Ipswich Hospital will go for it, a health chief has warned.Paul Forden, chief executive of Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust said today that the picture is not fully clear yet as to how they would be affected by the new status.
A CLEARER idea about what foundation status will bring to patients is needed before Ipswich Hospital will go for it, a health chief has warned.
Paul Forden, chief executive of Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust said today that the picture is not fully clear yet as to how they would be affected by the new status.
His warning came on the day that Health Secretary Alan Milburn promised a £200million funding boost, aimed at turning all hospitals in the country into foundation hospitals in the next five years.
Money will be given to hospitals who have two stars or less to help them achieve better status – Ipswich is currently a one star.
You may also want to watch:
The programme, which has seen fierce opposition from some backbench Labour MP's, is designed to transform hospitals into not for profit organisations within the NHS, able to raise money and make managerial decisions for themselves, bringing them closer to the needs of their own community.
But Mr Forden said he was not yet sure what it would bring to Ipswich.
- 1 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 2 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 3 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 4 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 5 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 6 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 7 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 8 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
- 9 3 new eateries for you to try as Covid rules ease
- 10 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
He said: "We have to have a clearer idea about how foundation status will affect Ipswich hospital before we consider moving in that direction.
"We are already close to the needs of our community, but that does seem to be changing at the moment."
However, Ipswich MP, Chris Mole said he did not have a problem with the reforms.
He said: "I am quite relaxed about the principle of giving the hospital that extra bit of freedom.
"I have no great problems at all with foundation hospitals."