Unruly youths plague Kesgrave
UNRULY youths are plaguing Kesgrave with residents claiming they are too scared to contact the police for fear of reprisals.This week police received a letter from 34 anonymous residents who claimed the yobs are making their lives a misery.
UNRULY youths are plaguing Kesgrave with residents claiming they are too scared to contact the police for fear of reprisals.
This week police received a letter from 34 anonymous residents who claimed the yobs are making their lives a misery.
The authors of the letter refused to identify themselves for fear of the reaction from the youngsters.
Vandalism, small fires, graffiti, litter and smashed bottles are all problems, especially along the Pilboroughs Walk footpath.
You may also want to watch:
Woodbridge sector commander Inspector Ben Cook said: "It just creates an atmosphere of mess and deprivation which is totally wrong for an area like this."
There have also been complaints about youths using Rupert Fison Square, the area next to Tesco, as a short cut between one end of town and another.
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Should buses be kept out of Ipswich's Upper Brook Street?
- 3 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 4 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 5 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 6 Couple avoid jail for campaign of harassment against neighbour
- 7 Five of the best places to cure your hangover in Ipswich
- 8 Farmland 'years away' from development, says builder
- 9 Woman accused of fraudulently giving £75k to son while bankrupt
- 10 Man taken to hospital after becoming stuck in mud in Ipswich riverbank
Gangs of young people regularly congregate in the area with an array of bike and motorcycles.
One concerned resident recently posted a message on the Evening Star forum entitled 'Kesgrave Death Trap'. It said: "Am I the only person that is getting annoyed with the youths in Kesgrave using Tesco's car park as a race track and using footpaths as a short cut?
"I find it a mission just to go shopping because you have to dodge yobs on their mopeds screeching around!"
Several young people have been placed on the youth nuisance register, with letters being sent to their parents, and extra patrols have been introduced in the area.
Residents will be able to talk to officers in total confidence and it is hoped an open public meeting can be arranged to try to find a solution to the problem.
Insp Cook said: ""I cannot stress enough that people need to come forward and talk to us so that we can pinpoint exactly what the problems are.
"If the community stands together with the police we can show those causing the problems that anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated."
Kesgrave Town Council say it is aware of the problems and are working closely alongside the police to tackle it.
Anybody with concerns should contact Woodbridge police station on 01473 383460.