Update: Second arrest is made in Luke Durbin murder inquiry
A SECOND man has tonight been arrested by detectives investigating the murder of Luke Durbin who went missing after a night out in Ipswich in 2006.
A 25-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the murder of Luke Durbin in Suffolk earlier tonight. He has been taken to Martlesham police investigation centre for questioning.
A 40-year-old man is currently being detained in Ipswich after detectives went to a terraced house in Spring Road, near the junction with Grove Lane, at around 7.30am today.
Officers have also cordoned off an area around a property in Redwald Road, Rendlesham, this afternoon to enable searches to be carried out.
Sniffer dogs are believed to be searching inside and outside the property which is the former home of the suspect.
Police have stressed that the search is in no way connected to the current occupants.
In Ipswich a police community support officer has remained stationed outside the house in Spring Road throughout the day.
- 1 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 2 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 3 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 4 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 7 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 8 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 9 Caribbean trailer to open soon in town centre
- 10 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
One witness to the aftermath of the arrest said: “I was walking past the house at around 8.30am and saw a lot of police there. I was in shock.
“I saw police taking papers out of the black and blue (wheelie) bins.
“They seemed to be taking some notes of the papers.”
Throughout the day officers and police forensic staff were seen going in and out of the house, which is believed to have been the suspect’s home for two years, as they conducted a search of the premises.
Luke, of Hollesley, was reported missing to police by his mother on May 13, 2006.
The then 19-year-old had gone out for the evening with friends on Thursday, May 11, 2006 in Ipswich and did not return home.
Extensive enquiries have taken place over the past six years and in 2010 the investigation was taken over by the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team.
Lisa Miller, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary, said: “Officers from the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team arrested a 40-year-old man at an address in east Ipswich this morning.
“He has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of Luke Durbin and is currently being held in custody at the Martlesham Police Investigation Centre.
“Officers are carrying out a search of the address in east Ipswich.”
Earlier this year, police released previously unpublished CCTV pictures of Luke, believing it would help to find out what happened to Luke.
The search for Luke was taken on by the major investigation team around two years ago.
In recent months, investigators have searched railway lines, retraced the route he is believed to have taken and searched an area surrounding Foxhall Stadium, near Ipswich, where someone reported seeing Luke. An address in Ipswich has also been searched.
New footage of Luke approaching a taxi just after midnight in Cardinal Park has been reviewed and released to the public in the hope that it would trigger someone’s memory.
Among the areas where officers have conducted inquiries was the bus station in Ipswich town centre, where Mr Durbin was captured on CCTV at 4am on Friday, May 12 as well as the area of Quay Side in Woodbridge.
Click on the links at the top right hand corner of this story to view related articles.