Update: Victim of knife attack in Chesterton Close described by neighbours as “friendly giant”

IPSWICH: Shocked residents have today spoken of hearing screams as a man known to friends as a “big friendly giant” died after suffering knife wounds in his own home.

The victim of the knife attack at a council flat in Chesterton Close has been named locally as Lee Jackson, a 43-year-old man who had lived in the property with his partner Clare since just before last Christmas.

The killing has sparked a major police investigation, and two men have been arrested.

Officers were called to reports of a stabbing at the block of flats, which is on the border of the Chantry and Stoke Park estates, at about 4.50am on Saturday morning.

They rushed to the scene to find the victim bleeding heavily, and called for help from paramedics who arrived within four minutes.

But despite the joint efforts of the emergency services, Mr Jackson was pronounced dead at the scene.

The incident has sent shockwaves through the close-knit community on the estate, with many paying tribute to their friend and neighbour.

Most Read

A 26-year-old resident who asked not to be named said: “I just woke up about 5am to hear someone screaming at the top of their voice.

“I ran out and there was loads of commotion, and I saw lots of police running past.

“I know Lee’s girlfriend quite well. He was a friendly guy. We used to call him the BFG (Big Friendly Giant) because he’s quite tall.”

Caroline Tribble, who lives next door to the crime scene, said: “I got woken up by some kind of noise about an hour and a half before it happened. I just went back to sleep, but the next thing I knew, I heard screaming.

“I got up as soon and went outside and I saw my neighbour screaming. She had blood all over her feet.

“They tried to resuscitate him but they couldn’t.

“He’s quite stocky so I’m suprised anyone would want to mess with him.”

Caroline’s mother, Margaret Tribble added: “It’s not very nice when something like this happens on your doorstep.”

A spokeswoman for the ambulance service said: “Police alerted us to a serious wounding with bleeding, but unfortunately, there wasn’t anything we could do when we were there.

“The police were doing their very best to help save the patient, doing CPR, but unfortunately despite everyone’s efforts, they weren’t able to save him.”

Police have cordoned off areas near the flats as they carry out their investigation, which has seen forensics officers at the flat all weekend. A post mortem examination was carried out on Saturday evening and found the cause of death was shock as a result of blood loss from the knife attack.

Residents from the block in which Mr Jackson lived have been asked to stay elsewhere for a few days to give specialist officers a chance to examine the scene thoroughly.

n A 21-year-old man from Ipswich has been arrested on suspicion of murder and was last night being quizzed by detectives at Martlesham police investigation centre, after officers requested more time to question him. Another man, a 22-year-old also from Ipswich, was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder and released on police bail to return to the Martlesham centre on December 5.

n Do you know Mr Jackson and want to pay tribute to him? Call The Evening Star newsdesk on 01473 324790 or e-mail starnews@eveningstar.co.uk