Vicar's wife jailed for £150,000 theft
AN Ipswich vicar's wife was jailed today after pleading guilty to stealing more than £150,000 from her employer.Tracey Morgan, of Ancaster Road, was sentenced to 12 months in prison when she appeared at Ipswich Crown Court.
AN Ipswich vicar's wife was jailed today after pleading guilty to stealing more than £150,000 from her employer.
Tracey Morgan, of Ancaster Road, was sentenced to 12 months in prison when she appeared at Ipswich Crown Court.
She had been due to attend the court for a pleas and directions hearing and unexpectedly pleaded guilty when she stood before Judge David Goodin in court four.
You may also want to watch:
The 43-year-old admitted all seven counts of theft from Boulter Buderus Limited in Whitehouse Road, Ipswich, over a four-year period.
Morgan worked for the company as an office manger since 1991. She is the wife of the Rev Ian Morgan of St Mary at Stoke Church in Belstead Road, Ipswich. She was arrested on suspicion of stealing from her employer on September 26
- 1 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 2 Community 'very shocked' by stabbing in Ipswich
- 3 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 4 Man in his 30s stabbed in 'serious assault' in Ipswich
- 5 Hotel and new shop planned for Ipswich retail park
- 6 Drug dealer seen bragging in YouTube rap videos
- 7 Turkish delight and blood orange among flavours on offer at new ice cream parlour
- 8 Work to start on new Ipswich town centre retirement homes
- 9 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 10 Ipswich restaurant offers free meals over summer holidays
After Morgan's sentencing the Diocesan office in Ipswich issued a short statement from the Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich The Right Reverend Richard Lewis.
It read: “It is with great sadness and regret that Bishop Richard has heard the news that Mrs Tracey Morgan has pleaded guilty to charges of theft.
“This is a private matter between Mrs Morgan and her former employers. Bishop Richard wishes to make it clear that Mrs Morgan has never been employed by the Church.
“Bishop Richard continues to affirm the work of the Revd Ian Morgan as Team Rector of the South West Ipswich Team of parishes.”
The Revd Ian Morgan who had been of a leave of absence during the early part of his wife's court case but is now back at his post, today said he was thankful for the help he had been offered since her arrest.
He said: “I am grateful for the continuing support of both Bishop Richard and the members of the congregations through what has been a very difficult time for my family and me.”
The diocese of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich said it was continuing to offer its support to the churchwardens and congregations of the South West Ipswich Team of parishes.
Morgan's thefts are took place between 1999 and 2003.