Video/Gallery: Around 50 firefighters sent to tackle blaze at The Unruly Pig in Bromeswell overnight
A pub which was reopened under new management just a few months ago has been badly damaged in an overnight blaze.
The incident happened at The Unruly Pig, formerly The British Larder, in Bromeswell near Woodbridge.
Around 50 firefighters were sent to the scene from stations in Woodbridge, Ipswich, Leiston, Saxmundham and Aldeburgh.
The fire service was first called out just after 2.15am today.
Both the pub itself and a number of outbuildings were involved in the fire as well as a large external LPG cylinder, according to Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service station commander Steve Rhind.
You may also want to watch:
Suffolk Constabulary also attended the scene and closed Orford Road, which the pub is beside, while the blaze was put out.
The road was reopened at around 7.45am.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 3 Ipswich man wanted for theft and fraud offences
- 4 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 5 Man left with three broken ribs after assault by group of men in Ipswich town centre
- 6 'Very traumatic' – Catalytic converter thieves threaten family
- 7 Ipswich MP calls for urgent action after hospital maternity report
- 8 Staff ‘burnt out and tearful’: Whistleblowers raise alarm over hospital maternity safety
- 9 Two Suffolk centres offering walk-in Covid-19 vaccinations tomorrow
- 10 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
Brendan Padfield, owner of the pub, this morning tweeted he was devastated at what had happened and the pub would be closed until further notice.
He also said no one was in the pub at the time and thanked the emergency services.
Writer Anthony Horowitz, who is known to dine at the pub, also tweeted about the news.
“Very sad to hear this,” he wrote.
A police spokesman later confirmed the fire was not being treated as suspicious.