Video/Gallery: Around 50 firefighters sent to tackle blaze at The Unruly Pig in Bromeswell overnight
A pub which was reopened under new management just a few months ago has been badly damaged in an overnight blaze.
The incident happened at The Unruly Pig, formerly The British Larder, in Bromeswell near Woodbridge.
Around 50 firefighters were sent to the scene from stations in Woodbridge, Ipswich, Leiston, Saxmundham and Aldeburgh.
The fire service was first called out just after 2.15am today.
Both the pub itself and a number of outbuildings were involved in the fire as well as a large external LPG cylinder, according to Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service station commander Steve Rhind.
You may also want to watch:
Suffolk Constabulary also attended the scene and closed Orford Road, which the pub is beside, while the blaze was put out.
The road was reopened at around 7.45am.
- 1 Assistant beaver leader caught with indecent images of children
- 2 Pair stole 85 cans of tinned salmon from B&M in Ipswich
- 3 Ipswich planners expected to give approval to Lidl at Futura Park
- 4 'Out of control' Ipswich man caught with images showing abuse of young boys
- 5 Three further Covid-related deaths reported as hospital admissions rise
- 6 Two new hospital deaths recorded in Suffolk
- 7 Shane Andrews packed a great deal into his life with cystic fibrosis
- 8 A14 crash causes traffic jam
- 9 First look at the iconic Ipswich images going up on the Cobbold Stand
- 10 'Inspirational' Ipswich science teacher retires after 36 years
Brendan Padfield, owner of the pub, this morning tweeted he was devastated at what had happened and the pub would be closed until further notice.
He also said no one was in the pub at the time and thanked the emergency services.
Writer Anthony Horowitz, who is known to dine at the pub, also tweeted about the news.
“Very sad to hear this,” he wrote.
A police spokesman later confirmed the fire was not being treated as suspicious.