Video/Gallery: Bus sinks into burst water main causing closure of flooded road in Holbrook which won’t fully reopen for days
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Road in Holbrook is still closed and is not expected to fully reopen for days after a bus sunk into hole created by a burst water main.
At about 8.40am this morning, the rear wheel of the bus sank into the burst main. Anglia Water turned off the water supply in the area but a stretch of the road was flooded and a large sink hole was created.
The road is closed in both directions at The Compasses Pub and diversions are in place. The double-decker bus has now been recovered.
Antony Innes, from Anglian Water, said: “We are sorry for any disruption caused to residents in Holbrook following a burst water main this morning. The leaking water created a void beneath the road surface, causing a bus to become stuck.
“We’re working with the police and bus company to get the pipe and road surface safely repaired as quickly as possible.
“Homes in the local area would have been temporarily affected with lower than usual pressure this morning before engineers were able to stop the leak. A small number of homes close to the damaged section of pipe will still be affected until repairs can be fully carried out.”
Anglian Water has issued a new statement giving an update on the situation in Ipswich Road. It said: “Engineers have been working to repair the water main during this afternoon and we expect the water supply for the local area to be back to normal by 7pm.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 3 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 4 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 5 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 6 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 7 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 8 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 9 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 10 Revealed: The Indian restaurants in Ipswich with five-star hygiene ratings
“We are meeting the council tomorrow morning to discuss how we’re going to safely repair the road. We hope to be able to reopen one lane on Wednesday and complete full resurfacing work over the next few days.”