Volunteers to be honoured with award
VOLUNTEERS who have given outstanding service to their community are to be recognised by a new award from the town's mayor.Harry Dangerfield, the mayor of Felixstowe, put forward the idea for the award as one of his projects this year – and it has been accepted by the council.
By Richard Cornwell
VOLUNTEERS who have given outstanding service to their community are to be recognised by a new award from the town's mayor.
Harry Dangerfield, the mayor of Felixstowe, put forward the idea for the award as one of his projects this year – and it has been accepted by the council.
Special enamel badges are to be made – an initial batch of 50 for around £1,350 are to be made – to be given to the recipients at an annual ceremony.
Now nominations are being sought for the first awards, which it is planned will be made this spring.
Mr Dangerfield said up to five awards would be made each year and the award was open to anyone carrying out voluntary work in Felixstowe.
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 3 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 4 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 5 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 6 Friends raise money for garden for terminally ill Suffolk mum
- 7 Mother who befriended son's killer discusses his new book
- 8 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
- 9 Fencing around historic Trimley station causes scare for local community
- 10 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
"I have been enormously impressed by the work carried out for our town on a voluntary basis by so many individuals," he said
Nomination forms for the award are available from the Town Hall, Undercliff Road West, Felixstowe, 01394 282086. The deadline for nominations is March 29.
Organisations or individuals can nominate and there is no limit to the number of people who can be put forward from any organisation, though each must be on a separate form, with details of why the person deserves the reward.