Waitrose renew interest in town centre
MANAGERS from Waitrose have been back in touch with Civic Centre bosses to repeat their interest in developing the site in 18 months' time, The Evening Star can reveal today.
MANAGERS from Waitrose have been back in touch with Civic Centre bosses to repeat their interest in developing the site in18 months' time, The Evening Star can reveal today.
The supermarket giant is very keen to move into Ipswich, and identified the Civic Centre site as a potential home more than a year ago.
Now it has been confirmed that Ipswich council is to move to new offices in Russell Road, the company has returned to reinforce its interest.
And the site became even more attractive for a potential developer when the police authority confirmed it would move out of the Elm Street station for a new Ipswich headquarters in 2006 as well.
John Stebbings is organising the Ipswich Council move. He said: "The fact that the police are moving is good news all around. It means the site is much larger and more flexible for a potential developer.
"Whatever happens here will be much more than just a supermarket, there will be a comprehensive redevelopment of this part of the town."
- 1 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 2 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 3 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 4 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 5 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 6 Ford Transit van destroyed in suspected arson attack
- 7 OPINION: Back to business - these are the council's plans for Ipswich
- 8 Meet John Cook the next mayor of Ipswich – and a Norwich City supporter
- 9 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 10 St Clement's Church ready for new life as an arts centre
Although Waitrose had been in touch again, the whole site will have to be marketed to ensure that the borough gets the best possible price for the land.
"They have been talking to us, but we're all aware that we need to get the best possible value for the land," he added.
The council is due to move to new offices opposite Endeavour House in the spring of 2006. The police station is also expected to move to the Ipswich Village area of the town later in the year.
The Civic Centre tower, police station and old crown court buildings are all expected to be demolished once they are no longer occupied – paving the way for the redevelopment of the area.
Do you welcome the redevelopment of the Civic Centre site? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org