Warning – graphic content: Jail for Ipswich man Shane Gull for unprovoked attack on man, 76
- Credit: Archant
An Ipswich man has been jailed for seven years for the ‘vicious’ unprovoked attack outside a newsagents in Tower Ramparts last year.
Shane Gull, 40, of Bull Road, was charged with grievous bodily harm with intent following an attack on a 76-year-old man outside McColl’s on the morning of Thursday, March 19.
He received a laceration to his head, swelling and bruising to his face, and significantly bruised hands.
Security staff detained the offender until the police arrived. Gull pleaded guilty and was sentenced to seven years in prison with an extended license period of five years at Ipswich Crown Court today.
Detective Chief Inspector Barry Byford said: “This is an extremely disturbing unprovoked attack where an elderly man was viciously assaulted in a public place. The victim then tried to defend himself by shielding his face, whilst lying on the floor and was further subject to injury.
You may also want to watch:
“During interview, the offender was shown photographs of the victim’s injuries, showing no remorse whatsoever and was completely unrepentant of his actions. Not only did he harm the victim but he also caused distress to many children who were around at the nearby bus station on their way to school.
“Violent offences like this will not be tolerated and we will make every effort to put offenders before the courts.”
- 1 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 2 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 3 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 4 Former cop who suffered from PTSD prepares to take on 24-hour marathon
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: Drug courier and teenage burglar put behind bars
- 6 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 7 Car rental business set to bring jobs boost
- 8 England fans disappointed at goalless draw against Scotland
- 9 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 10 Did you see Status Quo at this Ipswich pub?