Washing up bowl contains blaze
A BEDROOM fire in Ipswich was contained today - thanks to a washing up bowl.Anthony Holman, who lives in Felixstowe Road, was alerted to the fire after his 17-year-old daughter heard a bang and saw her fan heater engulfed in flames.
A BEDROOM fire in Ipswich was contained today - thanks to a washing up bowl.
Anthony Holman, who lives in Felixstowe Road, was alerted to the fire after his 17-year-old daughter heard a bang and saw her fan heater engulfed in flames.
He said: "My daughter was getting ready for college in the front room when she heard a bang.
"When she returned to her room, the fan heater was on fire," he said.
"I couldn't move it, so I got a washing up bowl, placed it over the flames and then pulled the plug out and called the fire service."
Mr Holman believes that the simple utensil definitely helped minimise the damage to his home.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 4 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 8 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 9 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
- 10 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
The fan-heater and an area of the carpet in the back bedroom was destroyed by the fire and various items of clothing suffered smoke damage, but fortunately nobody was hurt.
The 58-year-old owner of the property praised the quick response time of the fire service for getting to his house so quickly.
"They got here within four minutes. You can't ask for a better service than that. I am over the moon with them, they were brilliant."
Three five engines from Colchester Road and Princes Street attended the blaze at just after 10.15am.