Weather: Non-stop snow at Felixstowe
HAVING escaped the snow nearly all week, it came with a vengeance today as Felixstowe suffered snowfall non-stop all day.
Around two inches fell in the town centre and on the seafront, but just inland the situation was far worse with four inches falling in the Trimley villages.
It was slow going in the rush-hour with the main High Road through the villages just about passable, while High Road West and East and Hamilton Road were slushy and awaiting fresh gritting.
Sideroads were the real problems – not having been gritted and compacted snow and ice making cornering treacherous.
It was a quiet day in the town for traders with some smaller shops closing up early to make sure staff got home safely.
You may also want to watch:
For schoolchildren it was frustrating, having to sit in their classrooms watching the snow fall outside with no school closures at all.
The Port of Felixstowe closed for a while because of the snow and ice and Operation Stack was put into action.
- 1 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 2 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 3 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 4 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 5 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 8 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 9 Inside Ipswich's Blitz-themed tearoom
- 10 It's coming home! Fans across Suffolk celebrate England's win
This was removed late afternoon after it became clear that most truckers had heeded the message and decided not to travel.
A port spokesman said that some areas had been cleared and that delivery of export containers was being permitted but no drivers would be able to collect import boxes until tomorrow morning at the earliest.
Further work to clear more areas would take place overnight.