Witness search in rape man hunt
DETECTIVES were today hunting a man who raped a 21-year-old woman after abducting her from a Suffolk supermarket car park in broad daylight.The terrifying three-hour ordeal began after the sex attacker, believed to be in his 60s, asked the young victim to help him load shopping into his car at the Tesco superstore in Brandon.
DETECTIVES were today hunting a man who raped a 21-year-old woman after abducting her from a Suffolk supermarket car park in broad daylight.
The terrifying three-hour ordeal began after the sex attacker, believed to be in his 60s, asked the young victim to help him load shopping into his car at the Tesco superstore in Brandon.
When the victim agreed to help, she was bundled into the 4x4, driven off and raped, before being dumped on a nearby industrial estate hours later.
Today, Suffolk police said they were treating the allegation “extremely seriously”.
You may also want to watch:
A large section of the store's car park in London Road was cordoned off while scenes of crime officers scoured the area.
Shoppers told of their shock at the horrifying attack and abduction.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 6 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 7 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 8 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 London man who travelled to meet decoy teen to stand trial
One woman, who did not want to be named, said: “Brandon is quite a close knit community where everyone pretty much knows everyone.
“It makes this kind of thing even more shocking. You hear about things like this happening in bigger places but not in a small town like this.
“I just can't believe it has happened.”
The victim told police she was in the car park at about 2.15pm on Saturday when she was asked by a man for help with his bags.
The woman was then threatened and pushed into his vehicle. The man then drove her to another location where he subjected her to a serious sexual assault before returning her to Wimbledon Avenue, Brandon at about 5.30pm, when police were alerted.
Lesley-Ann Blood, who lives close to the industrial estate where the woman was dumped, said: “This is a nice place and it is such a shock. I have never heard of anything like this happening in Brandon before.
“The industrial estate pretty much operates from Monday to Friday.”
Detectives appealed to anyone with information, particularly those who were in the Tesco car park and may have seen anything suspicious between noon and 3pm on Saturday, to call 01473 613500.
Were you in the car park at the time? What do you think? E-mail email@example.com or write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN