Woman fights for life as man held on suspicion of GBH in Felixstowe
- Credit: Su Anderson
A woman is fighting for her life and a man has been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm after emergency services were sent to a flat in Felixstowe.
Detectives believe the 46-year-old woman had been lying on the floor of the property in the St Andrew’s Road/Bridge Road area for “some time”, but have not said whether this means several hours or possibly days.
It is understood Suffolk Constabulary’s major investigation team is leading the inquiry.
The suspect, a 58-year-old, was arrested around two hours after the female was originally found.
Tim Cracknell, a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary, said: “A 58-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of GBH after a woman was found critically ill at an address in Felixstowe.
You may also want to watch:
“Suffolk Police were contacted around 4.50pm on Wednesday, reporting concerns for a woman who had been admitted to the accident and emergency department at Ipswich Hospital.
“The woman was said to be ‘very unwell’, having been found on the floor at her home, where she has believed to have been for some time. She remains in hospital in a critical condition.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 5 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 6 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
- 10 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
“Officers began an investigation into what had happened and arrested a 58-year-old man, from Felixstowe, at around 6.45pm.
“He is currently in custody at Martlesham Police Investigation Centre where he is being interviewed about what happened.
“A cordon remains in place around an address in the St Andrews Road area of the town as this work continues.”
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance NHS Trust said it was called shortly before 1.50pm on Wednesday to reports of a woman who was feeling unwell at an address in Leeward Court.
Two ambulances were despatched and paramedics went to the casualty’s aid.
The spokesman said at the time of the crews’ arrival the woman was reported to be conscious and breathing.
She was treated at the scene for some time until being taken to hospital in an ambulance at 3.50pm.
The casualty arrived at Ipswich Hospital at 4pm.
It is understood police were called in after that time.