Woman's car destroyed by fire
AN Ipswich woman who spent £7,000 on a brand new car watched helplessly as it burst into flames in the garage.Doreen Batley of Dale Hall Lane only had the Citroen Saxo vehicle for a month but it was completely gutted in last night's blaze.
By Amanda Cresswell
AN Ipswich woman who spent £7,000 on a brand new car watched helplessly as it burst into flames in the garage.
Doreen Batley of Dale Hall Lane only had the Citroen Saxo vehicle for a month before it was completely gutted in last night's blaze.
Flames spread rapidly through the garage. The heat was so intense that firefighters had to knock down part of the garage wall to get to the seat of the blaze, which started at 7.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Batley's son, who asked not to be named, said: "Who knows what caused it? These things happen. Fortunately nobody was hurt and the house wasn't affected."
He said his mother was about to go out in the car when she saw smoke coming from the front of the vehicle. She telephoned her son, but by that time the fire had already taken hold.
- 1 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 2 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 3 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 4 New home developments boost Ipswich's 'connected town' ambition
- 5 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 6 The 10 most Instagrammable spots in Ipswich - is your favourite on the list?
- 7 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 8 35 pictures from Ipswich Town's friendly clash with Palace
- 9 Christmas in July! Ipswich friends host summer festive feast
- 10 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
The blaze cut off electricity to the family's detached home. Mrs Batley was too upset to talk about the incident.
Firefighters were also called to a garden shed fire on the other side of Ipswich early today, at Clifford Road.
They took 20 minutes to bring the blaze under control after being called out just before 1am.