Woman's car destroyed by fire
AN Ipswich woman who spent £7,000 on a brand new car watched helplessly as it burst into flames in the garage.Doreen Batley of Dale Hall Lane only had the Citroen Saxo vehicle for a month but it was completely gutted in last night's blaze.
By Amanda Cresswell
AN Ipswich woman who spent £7,000 on a brand new car watched helplessly as it burst into flames in the garage.
Doreen Batley of Dale Hall Lane only had the Citroen Saxo vehicle for a month before it was completely gutted in last night's blaze.
Flames spread rapidly through the garage. The heat was so intense that firefighters had to knock down part of the garage wall to get to the seat of the blaze, which started at 7.30pm.
Mrs Batley's son, who asked not to be named, said: "Who knows what caused it? These things happen. Fortunately nobody was hurt and the house wasn't affected."
He said his mother was about to go out in the car when she saw smoke coming from the front of the vehicle. She telephoned her son, but by that time the fire had already taken hold.
- 1 Emergency road closure in place on busy Ipswich road
- 2 Family's Christmas lights tribute to Jessica, 28, who died after giving birth
- 3 Will 'traditional' new homes at Ipswich Garden Suburb soon be obsolete?
- 4 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Snow falls over Suffolk and more sub-zero temperatures to come
- 7 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 8 Drunk woman attacked former partner with knife
- 9 Surprise snowglobe gift leaves Harvey, 4, 'over the moon'
- 10 Anti-crime campaigners plan Christmas grotto at tattoo studio
The blaze cut off electricity to the family's detached home. Mrs Batley was too upset to talk about the incident.
Firefighters were also called to a garden shed fire on the other side of Ipswich early today, at Clifford Road.
They took 20 minutes to bring the blaze under control after being called out just before 1am.