Work starts on Ipswich town centre Tesco – due to open next summer
- Credit: Su Anderson
Conversion work has started on the former Croydons store in Tavern Street, Ipswich, which is due to open as a Tesco Express next summer.
The building – which dates from the 1930s when Tavern Street was widened – has been empty for several years since its last tenant, clothing company Blacks, moved out.
Conversion work started last week – and is expected to get under way in earnest in the new year to ensure that the prominent building is back in full use within a few months.
A spokesman for the company said: “We are really excited about the chance to serve local people.
“We are undertaking some strip out works on site at the moment and hope to open our store early in the Summer of 2015.
You may also want to watch:
“We will be sure to keep the local community updated”.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 5 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 10 Ed Sheeran self-isolating after testing positive for Covid