Wright leaves to cries of 'scum'
CRIES of “scum” were heard from onlookers as Steve Wright was driven away from Ipswich Crown Court to start his life sentence today.Earlier the aunt of one of Wright's five victims Tania Nicol gave a thumbs-up after the killer was led from the dock by two security guards.
CRIES of “scum” were heard from onlookers as Steve Wright was driven away from Ipswich Crown Court to start his life sentence today.
Earlier the aunt of one of Wright's five victims Tania Nicol gave a thumbs-up after the killer was led from the dock by two security guards.
"Result - he should never come out," said Finney Nicol.
Wright's brother and sister, David and Jeanette, who sobbed throughout the sentencing, left the court hand in hand without speaking to waiting journalists.
In an upstairs court annexe was Wright's half-brother, Keith, who also kept his thoughts to himself as he walked past the media pack waiting outside.
Wright's departure from the court building came more than an-hour-and-a-half after he was sentenced by Mr Justice Gross.
- 1 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 2 'Despicable racism' condemned after letter in post
- 3 Ipswich man appears in court charged with child sex offences
- 4 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 5 Homeless man allegedly stabbed man who offered help
- 6 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 7 Fire crews called to fire on flat balcony in busy Ipswich road
- 8 School in Ipswich 'proud' of good Ofsted report
- 9 Peugeot stolen from Ipswich pub car park
- 10 Delays on A14 after Orwell Bridge incident
Four police motorcycle outriders and two police cars escorted the van out of Ipswich, passing near the very streets where he had picked up his victims.
Wright was driven to Belmarsh Prison in south-east London, where he will be placed under suicide watch.