By George he deserved it - Shittu
WATFORD central defender Dan Shittu says that George O'Callaghan deserved to be sent off in Saturday's FA Cup game at Vicarage Road.The 27-year-old Irishman saw red in his first start for Town for what looked little more than a 45th minute tap with his foot on to Shittu's back after they both hit the ground following a heading duel.
By Elvin King
WATFORD central defender Dan Shittu says that George O'Callaghan deserved to be sent off in Saturday's FA Cup game at Vicarage Road.
The 27-year-old Irishman saw red in his first start for Town for what looked little more than a 45th minute tap with his foot on to Shittu's back after they both hit the ground following a heading duel.
Shittu said: “I won the header, we toppled over and he lashed out and kicked me in the back.
“I did not make a meal of it and was surprised when the referee showed a red card.
“But it was justified.”
- 1 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 2 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 3 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 4 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 5 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 6 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 7 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 8 New gift card to encourage shoppers to use Ipswich town centre
- 9 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 10 'My son has never seen a health visitor' - Pandemic parents battle
O'Callaghan denies Premiership referee Steve Bennett's claim that he had stamped on Shittu.
“We ended up on the floor and I just flicked out at him to get him off,” said O'Callaghan, who is set to miss three games for violent conduct.
“It was nothing, just a reaction. It happens time and time again.
“The referee said he was sending me off for stamping. How could I stamp him if I am on the floor?
“It was definitely nothing malicious and I feel it was really harsh.
“But I feel I have let the players, the gaffer and the fans down because the end result is that I was sent off.
“At the time we were right on top and we could have gone on to reach the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and that would have been a massive boost to the club.”