Controversy as one-time winners exit
SOCCER: Earl Soham Victoria have been knocked out of the Carlsberg Pub Cup in controversial circumstances. The 1999/00 winners at Wembley Stadium lost 2-0 to Canning Town Sports and Social Club at Brimsdown Rovers – after fielding a weakened side.
By Elvin King
EARL Soham Victoria have been knocked out of the Carlsberg Pub Cup in controversial
The 1999/00 winners at Wembley Stadium lost 2-0 to Canning Town Sports and Social Club at Brimsdown Rovers – after fielding a weakened side.
Manager Mel Aldis said: "They offered us Friday, Saturday and Wednesday dates with the latter two no good as Stowmarket Town had a match.
"I thought of pulling out but in the end sent a weakened team to play on Friday night. It was a disappointing way to go out."
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 4 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 5 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 6 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 7 Wallet and cash stolen as two more cars have windows smashed in in Ipswich
- 8 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 9 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 10 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
Canning Town now travel to Durham for a quarter-final tie.
STOWMARKET Town have re-appointed manager Mel Aldis for next season.
The Jewson League side are chasing a top six position in the Premier Division having finished tenth in 2000/01.
A club spokesman said: "Mel's record speaks for itself and we are pleased to have him back next year."
Stowmarket – who just avoided relegation in Aldis' first season in charge – had a good run in the FA Cup this season.