Defensive errors trip up East Bergholt
Football: Suffolk Senior Cup. East Bergholt 1 Ipswich Athletic 4. With both teams in the higher echelons of the SIL they would have been hoping this game would take place later in the competition.
Football: Suffolk Senior Cup.
East Bergholt 1 Ipswich Athletic 4.
With both teams in the higher echelons of the SIL they would have been hoping this game would take place later in the competition. As it was the defensive performances of both teams did not bode well for the future. Mills for Athletic and J. Jorgensen for the home side both went close from distance before the visitors opened the scoring on fifteen minutes. A deep cross from Gammell floated to the back post was met unopposed by Beddoes who headed home. A minute late they went two ahead when good work by Gammell got him to the by line and his pull back was neatly volleyed home by Howard.
At this time it looked like Athletic would run out easy winners but a dodgy quarter of an hour could have seen them behind. Wilcox was released by Turner and his volley from twenty five yards flew just past the post. He was more fortunate soon after when Turner's shot was blocked and Wilcox pounced on the rebound to drive under Evans despairing dive. M. Jorgensen was then left unmarked at a corner and should have done better with his header before Wilcox missed a guilt edged when he hit the post after another good headed flick by Turner.
Once the visitors had weathered this storm they took control with Andrews saving from Harrold before Beddoes got his second right on the beak, taking a pass from Harrold and steering home. Further chances came for Athletic with Page very fortunate to block a shot on the line before Howard shot home following good work by Harrold and Mills. East Bergholt still felt they could get back into the game and caused some panic in the visitors defence from corners and free kicks, however Athletic were dangerous on the break and Page did well to head Harrold's lob away from under the cossbar.
In the end Ipswich Athltic ran out easy winners but whether their defensive capabilities will take them all the way to Portman Road is very debatable.
- 1 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 2 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 3 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 4 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 5 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 6 Major milestone marked as Ipswich Hospital south entrance reopens
- 7 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 8 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 9 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 10 'Mum had the last Christmas she deserved' - Ipswich hospice helps families