Draw a fair result after Richards' goal

SIL SOCCER: East Bergholt 3 Old Newton 3. As one of only two clubs to have beaten East Bergholt this year there was never any danger Old Newton would be overawed by their opponents recent form.


East Bergholt 3 Old Newton 3

AS one of only two clubs to have beaten East Bergholt this year there was never any danger Old Newton would be overawed by their opponents recent form.

They started brightly and took the lead in the fifth minute when Coxall tried his luck with a low shot from 20 yards, beating the despairing dive of Andrews in the home goal.

Grogan had a tremendous chance to equalise when Gedny got clear of his marker down the left to cross, but he drilled his volley well wide.

Old Newton responded immediately with a fine ball from Stuart Ager finding Zarkos on the break and from his cross Richards shot home from close range.

Most Read

A carbon copy goal nearly followed but this time Zarkos cross was slightly over hit and Richards could only guide it pass the post as he stretched to reach it.

Andrews then saved bravely at Richards feet as the visitors continued to dominate.

Earlier efforts from the home side had relied on Powell's deadly free kicks, which had caused Paisley some problems and just before half time they equalised from another.

The ball was floated in and with Paisley calling for it but getting nowhere near it, the ball rebounded to Gedny who shinned home from twelve yards into an empty net.

Bergholt lifted their game at the start of the second half and equalised when Wilcox volleyed in from the edge of the box following Gedny's cross.

Paisley was disappointed he let the ball slip through his hands on the way in. Within five minutes of the restart the home side had taken the lead when Gedny forced in Powell's cross from close range.

Gedny should have increased that lead when he blasted over from a yard after a good move had seen M. Jorgensen cross from the by line.

Old Newton battled back well with Clarke's crosses from set plays causing the home defence problems.

Firstly Bloom's overhead kick flashed just wide and a Richards header hit the top of the bar.

Bergholt also had further chances with Pratt also trying an overhead kick from five yards which flew over the bar, and Coles dancing through the visitors defence only to guide his shot wide of the far post.

In the gathering gloom Old Newton continued to bombard the home goal with set pieces and they finally got their reward in the eighty eighth minute when another free kick fell to Richards who drilled home from 15 yards.

A draw was a fair result as East Bergholt went top of the league on goal difference.

Capel Plough 3 Bramford Utd 0

BOTH teams created chances throughout this match but it was the home side who took theirs and won the points.

There was little to choose between the sides until player-manager Tynan put Capel in front after 30 minutes scoring from the loose ball after Leggett had blocked a shot from Collins.

Bradshaw made some fine saves from Stewart and Burman before Capel scored a lucky second on the hour when Leggett appeared to have Cuthbertson's shot covered but the ball hit a divot and went over his body into the net. Minutes later Collins scored a third after Albins had put him through. Bramford never gave up and went close before the end but it was the home side who held on to take the points.

Grundisburgh 4 Crane Sports 4

THIS incredible game could have heralded the start of the pantomime season.

Julian Beaumont who netted all four goals against his old club showed what an asset Cranes have acquired.

Ironically, Beaumont who has netted seven times in the last two outings has seen his team collect just two points from his efforts.

The first goal came on eight minutes, Beaumont with his back to goal cleverly directing a shot from Middlemiss past Gaunt.

Grundisburgh were twice to hit the woodwork before half time, a Howell pile-driver and a Pratt header were within inches of goals.

Sandwiched between was another goal from Beaumont who coolly lifted the ball home after Gaunt had scrambled out a deflected shot.

The second half started sensationally. Mongan netting twice in two minutes to bring the scores level.

The first straight from a corner that went in at the near post then somehow getting the ball from under his feet to stab home from six yards.

Beaumont restored Cranes' margin with a fierce drive under the keeper after outpacing a square home defence.

It was level again two minutes later, Mark Clark scoring direct from a left side corner that left his namesake groping in the Crane goal.

On 88 minutes another keeper howler saw Beaumont gleefully take full advantage. On 90 minutes following an almighty scramble in the penalty area Broad prodded home the Grundisburgh equaliser.

Westerfield 2 Stonham Aspel 2

WESTERFIELD took a fifth minute lead when Drury's fiercely driven free kick took a slight deflection off Markham's outstretched leg to finish in the net.

Harrall quickly equalised for Stonham when his inswinging corner was punched high into his own net by young keeper Turner.

There was no disputing Markham's second goal in the 20th minute when the centre back was first to react to a free kick from Winship and he gleefully drove in past the helpless keeper Lay.

Westerfield had the edge in the first period but Stonham largely bossed the game in the second half but with no reward.

Turner tipped away a drive from Hutchinson and they only had themselves to blame as Gavin Brown missed the target with one header and headed straight at Turner from the best chance of the game.

Twice the visitors shot wildly when the impressive Moye had taken up good positions to receive the ball.

Westerfield by virtue of hard work in what was a scrappy second half added to their impressive points total in their return to the Senior Division.

Woodbridge Athletic 2 Leiston St Margarets 3

A CONVINCING win for bottom of the league Leiston St Margarets who overcame a two deficit to record their second win of the season in a competitive match at Notcutts Park.

Leiston dominated play for most of the first half but were unable to turn their approach work into goals.

For Woodbridge Broom was a constant threat to the visitors defence the striker being unlucky in the final minute of the half when keeper Walker made a spectacular save at the foot of his upright with his defence looking for the offside flag.

The home attack looked sharper after the break a shot from Allen being cleared off the line with the keeper beaten.

Woodbridge broke the deadlock in the 56th minute with a defensive error allowing Broom to stroke the ball home with the striker adding a second in the 65th minute tapping home a cross from Boutell.

The home sides lead was short lived with Murphy volleying home a cross from Pilkington in the 68th minute and Pilkington adding a second in the 78th minute heading home a cross from Shepherd.

With the home defence at full stretch Murphy again first home a cross from Harper in the 84th minute to give Leiston a welcome three points.