England held by Moldova at Portman Road
England Under-21 2 Moldova Under-21 2A GOAL five minutes from time denied England victory in their European Championship qualifier at Portman Road tonight.
England Under-21 2 Moldova Under-21 2
A GOAL five minutes from time denied England victory in their European Championship qualifier at Portman Road tonight.
The unmarked Theo Walcott had put England in front after just two minutes and 27 seconds on his Under-21 debut, heading home from a left-wing cross by Leighton Baines.
England did not deserve to be ahead at the interval as Moldova looked the better side for much of the opening period.
Moldova equalised in the 75th minute when Steven Taylor lost possession and Serghei Alexeev beat Scott Carson with a shot just under the bar.
The visitors' joy was shortlived as England restored their lead within a minute, substitute Cameron Jerome supplying a deep cross to the far post where David Nugent headed down and into the roof of the net.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 5 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
- 10 Felixstowe Christmas light switch on outshines dreary weather
But Moldova drew level for a second time with five minutes remaining when substitute Zislis nipped in at the near post to ensure the points were shared.
Former Ipswich star Darren Ambrose came on as an England substitute for the final 13 minutes.