Golf is back! And tennis - to be opening on March 29 - as Boris gives the green light to outdoor sport
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Golf courses, tennis courts and basketball courts, as well as other outdoor sports, including grassroots football are set to be back up and running again next month.
Although the full details are yet to be finalised.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson addressed the House of Commons this afternoon with the news.
Golf courses, tennis courts, basketball courts and other outdoor sport facilities will reopen on March 29 - the first Monday of most schools' Easter holidays.
Organised adults and children's sport, including grassroots football, will also restart from the same date.
"It's a big relief for so many golf clubs," Jenny Holmes, director of Fynn Valley Golf Club, in Suffolk, said.
"Obviously we hoped it to be sooner, but it's light at the end of the tunnel. It's been challenging for all of us, but I suppose if you do lockdown golf courses, then January and February are not the worst months to do it.
- 1 Heartbreak for owners as puppy Storm loses battle for life
- 2 Suffolk man distributed indecent images of children on messaging app
- 3 Mouldy scone leads to bakery firm being fined £9k for hygiene breaches
- 4 New 60-acre logistics park set to create 1,500 new jobs
- 5 Plea to help owners of tiny puppy Storm with £8k vet's bills
- 6 Road changes outlined to make way for hundreds of new homes at resort
- 7 Tributes to Scout leader who was 'life of the party' after death aged 69
- 8 A12 re-opens following serious three-vehicle crash
- 9 Let's use Ipswich Corn Exchange as a vaccination centre
- 10 Man dies following collision on A12
"But it's going to be exciting to see our members again, with the days getting longer and the weather warmer.
"As the 'rule of six' is applying, then we hope it will be four-balls, but we will wait and see."