Grundisburgh slip up at Haughley
SIL SOCCER: Haughley 1 Grundisburgh 0. The outcome of this fixture was magnified in importance by the defeat of Walsham at Bourne Vale. As it is, Haughley had put themselves in a very good position to pip Paul Smith's side by virtue of a Flack 67th minute goal that will no doubt relegate last year's champions to third place.
Haughley 1, Grundisburgh 0
THE outcome of this fixture was magnified in importance by the defeat of Walsham at Bourne Vale.
As it is, Haughley had put themselves in a very good position to pip Paul Smith's side by virtue of a Flack 67th minute goal that will no doubt relegate last year's champions to third place.
It was a close game with Haughley the busier side, but Grundisburgh – without Cotton and Hatcher – probably created the better, clear-cut chances.
After being caught off-side, Beaumont stepped up to crack a 20-yard free kick on to the Haughley woodwork. Then on the stroke of half-time, Mark Clarke delightfully chipped the keeper, but Briggs was there to save the day for Haughley.
The decisive goal came on 67 minutes, Flack knocking home the loose ball from short range after Grundisburgh had failed to clear a left-wing corner.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 3 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 4 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 5 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 6 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 7 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 8 Two people reported rough sleeping every day in Ipswich last month
- 9 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
On 86 minutes, Squirrell just failed to get the ball over Clarke when an equaliser looked certain, while Stevens at the other end broke away to beat Brightey in a race to a through ball only to chip his final effort just wide.