Happy Wanderers leave it late
Jewson League Cup third round: Ipswich Wanderers 4 Diss Town 3 (aet)Wanderers progressed to the next round after coming from behind to win a pulsating tie.
Jewson League Cup third round
Ipswich Wanderers 4 Diss Town 3 (aet)
Wanderers progressed to the next round after coming from behind to win this pulsating cup tie. Both sides had early chances but Howell for Wanderers and Gilman for Diss missed when well placed.
Wanderers took the lead on 23 minutes when Jamie Baker's cross was headed home by Winston Harewood.
Smy then headed wide as Wanderers looked for a second goal but Diss soon levelled when Wanderers failed to clear a cross and White netted from close range.
The visitors took the lead on 33 minutes when Matty Wright crossed and Miller rose to powerfully head home. Evans then produced a good save to deny Ferguson before Bond in the visiting goal produced a full stretch save to deny Baker. Wanderers pushed for a leveller and after Winston Harewood missed from close range Wanderers equalised on 73 minutes when Baker netted from close range with the aid of a slight deflection.
- 1 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 2 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 3 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 4 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 5 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 6 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 7 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 8 Ipswich cannabis dealer avoids immediate jail sentence
- 9 Delays on A14 after two-vehicle crash
- 10 Town set to appeal Morsy's FA charge
Within minutes Diss were back in front when Gilman cut inside two defenders before poking the ball home past Evans.
With four minutes left Hetherington crossed for Wanderers equaliser and with Baker arriving at the far post Diss defender Miller sliced the ball into his own net.
Howell had a late chance to seal the win for Wanderers in normal time but failed to convert it.
The first period of injury time saw Wanderers take a grip of the game and Baker, Howell and Roberts all came close. Wanderers found the winner in the 108th minute when Baker's venomous strike was parried by Bond and though Robert's initial effort was blocked Howell placed the ball into the empty net.