Hugo and Alastair share the honours
GOLF: All the juniors who had played in the Stonham Barns junior competitions this year were invited to play in the Stonham Barns Junior Players Championship.
ALL the juniors who had played in the Stonham Barns junior competitions this year were invited to play in the Stonham Barns Junior Players Championship.
There was a very good entry of 25 juniors, mainly from around the East Anglia region, but with some from as far away as Oxford and London.
The tournament was a great success, with good weather and good scores and lots of prizes. There were three age categories, the Under-8s, Under-10s and the Under-12s and the main trophy was for the lowest score by any junior of any age.
You may also want to watch:
In the end there was a tie for first place with Hugo Dobson, an 11-year-old from Woodbridge Golf Club who started his golf at Stonham Barns, and Alastair Hall, also 11, from Halesworth GC.
Both these young juniors have come through the Suffolk coaching scheme and are now in the Under-14 county squad. They scored a 33 for 9 holes (four over par), which on the day was a great achievement and three better than the third place score.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 5 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 6 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 8 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
Tony Dobson, who runs Stonham Barns, said: "It was great to see all the juniors come along and play with such enthusiasm, and well done to all the parents for making the effort to bring them along to play."
As for next year Stonham Barns Golf Centre will be organising eight junior events including the East Anglian Under-10's Championship in June and the Stonham Barns Junior Players Championship in November.
If anyone would like details of these events they can contact Tony Dobson on 01473 683233 or details will be on the Stonham Barns Golf Centre website which can be found at www.golf-direct.co.uk
Stonham Barns Players Championship Trophy: Hugo Dobson, aged 11 (Woodbridge) 33 and Alastair Hall, 11, (Halesworth) 33.
Under-8s: Lewis Barber, 8, (Colchester) 44, Benjamin Hewitt, 8, (Newmarket) 46, Nadine Williams, 8, (Ipswich) 46, Ryan Woods, 8, (Ely) 48, Luke Cruttenden, 8, (Ipswich) 51, Caylum McFee, 6, (Woodbridge) 55.
Under-10s: Bradley Williams, 10, (Ipswich) 39, Bobby Crapnell,11 (Mendlesham) 39, John Fernandes, 10, (London) 39, Craig Kearney,9, (Oxford) 42, Robert Pennell, 11, (Beaconsfield) 42.
Under-12s: Hugo Dobson, 11, (Woodbridge) 33, Alastair Hall, 11, (Halesworth) 33, Harry Hogg, 12, (Woodbridge) 36, Steven Aylott, 11, (Ipswich) 36, Nathan Styles, 12, (Mendlesham) 39.