Blues shocked by Volz O.G.

Charlton Athletic 2 Ipswich Town 1AN own goal by Moritz Volz denied a bitty Ipswich Town any reward in the Coca-Cola Championship game against a poor Charlton side at the Valley today.

Elvin King

Charlton Athletic 2 Ipswich Town 1

AN own goal by Moritz Volz denied a bitty Ipswich Town any reward in the Coca-Cola Championship game against a poor Charlton side at the Valley today.

Nicky Bailey gave Charlton the lead straight from a fourth minute free-kick wih Martin Craney turning the ball into his own net for a 34th minute Blues equaliser.

A cross by Darren Ambrose in the 60th minute was touched by Hameur Bouazza o to the chest of Volz and into the net to give a relieved Charlton three points.

Ivan Campo and Alan Quinn both struck the bar for Town who should have got some reward against a home side lacking in confidence.

Most Read

Town made three changes from the side that beat Barnsley 3-0 at Portman Road on Tuesday with Volz fit enough to return in place of Bruce at right back.

Midfielders Norris and Miller returned, talking the place of Garvan and Counago.

Former Town skipper Matt Holland was dropped to the Charlton bench, but another ex-Portman Road favourite - Darren Ambrose - was in the Charlton midfield.

Either the wall did not do its job or R Wright was wrongly positioned when Charlton took the lead in the sixth minute. A foul by Campo three yards outside the penalty led to a free-kick that BAILEY struck low with his right foot low into the far corner - beating the dive of the Town keeper.

It was another goal Town had conceded this season from dead ball situations, and was just the start they didn't need.

Soon after his goal, Bailey was injured, and after attention was taken off to be replaced by Holland.

Walters was helping Stead up front with Town yet to find any rhythm, and Ambrose firing into the side netting after Volz had lost possession on the right flank.

Town fans, massed behind the goal R Wright was protecting, were already calling Counago's name with the Spaniard doing well when he came off the bench here last year.

A strong breeze was not helping the players on an overcast afternoon - with Charlton breaking well before Todorov shot well wide from 20-yards.

In the 23rd minute, Youga made a hash of trying to clear and Norris was free in the penalty area. His driven cross just evaded a flying Walters, who tried to make contact at the far post.

Miller walked slowly off after 28 minutes with a left hip injury after colliding with Zhi in the first minute. He was replaced by Counago, with the new man going up front to play beside Stead, and Walters staying on the right side of midfield.

Home fans were getting on to the backs of their out of sorts side, but Town were not looking like scoring until the 34th minute. Counago played a neat reverse pass in the penalty area that released Walters into space, His cross from the right was aimed at Stead at the far post, but Cranie - sliding towards goal - placed the ball neatly into his own net to make it 1-1.

Today's game will be the main feature match in tomorrow morning 's Championship show on Anglia TV.

Charlton had lost their two previous games - and also their last two at the Valley - and their manager Pardew was under a certain amount of pressure to obtain a result today - before a two-week break caused by international games.

In the 44th minute, Campo broke well, and from Counago's cross, Quinn's far post downward header was tipped for a corner by the flying Weaver.

From a free-kick that followed the resultant corner, Campo struck the top of crossbar with Charlton now looking a ragged looking outfit.

Town struck the bar for the second time in the 50th minute when a neat build-up resulted in Quinn sending an angle right-wing shot over Weaver and against the woodwork.

Naylor fouled Varney when Charlton broke a minute later and it looked a yard inside the box. But the referee gave a free-kick outside the penalty area, which Walters headed clear.

After a brief burst Charlton reverted to their shoddy ways, and if Town upped a gear or two they would surely win this game.

Town meet Charlton again before the month is out with Charlton visiting Portman Road in the final match of October.

Volz deflected the ball into his own net on the hour to put the home side back into the lead. Ambrose crossed from the right touchline and Bouazza got in front of Volz to get a touch - with the ball rebounding of Volz's chest and over R Wright to float into the net just under the bar.

Ipswich could go into the top six with a win today, and they were seeking to extend an unbeaten league run that had stretched to five by the start of today's match. But they faced a fight to avoid defeat at this stage.

Charlton had now wrestled back control with Town boss Magilton bringing on Garvan and Lisbie to try and gain something from a match that they ought to take something from if serious promotion contenders.

Charlton played on when Votz as on the ground, and Norris tackled Bouazza with considerable force - leading to a flare-up between a number of players before calm was restored with an Ipswich goal kick.

There was no sign of any Town goal as the clock ticked down with play scrappy by both sides - with Charlton grateful to take three welcome points.


Charlton Athletic: Weaver; Cranie (sub Semedo 46), Primus, Hudson, Youga; Ambrose, Zhi, Bailey (Holland 12), Bouazza; Todorov (Gray 67), Varney. Substitutes: Elliott, Sam.

Ipswich Town: R Wright; Volz, McAuley, Naylor, D Wright; Walters, Norris, Campo (Garvan 71), Miller (Counago 28), Quinn; Stead (Lisbie 71). Substitutes: Supple, Bruce.

Referee: Mr G Hegley (Hertfordshire)

Attendance: 20,643.