Legend Drogba's message for Ipswich Town's new owners
- Credit: @BerkeBakay, Twitter
Premier League legend Didier Drogba has sent his congratulations to the new owners of Ipswich Town.
Drogba, who made his name as one of the world's best strikers during his time at Chelsea and while representing the Ivory Coast, tweeted Berke Bakay, one of the men now in charge of the Blues.
Bakay is one of the 'Three Lions' along with Brett Johnson and Mark Detmer, who own 5% of Gamechanger 20 - the club's new owners - and has enjoyed success with US side Phoenix Rising, where Drogba finished his illustrious career.
In his tweet, Drogba said: "Here we go Berke Bakay. Massive move to an historical club Ipswich Town."
Replying, Bakay called Drogba 'the king of Wembley Stadium', and added: "Be my guest at the end of May with some good luck charm for the play-off final?"
In his original tweet about taking over at Town, Bakay said: "Exciting day and a new chapter for the sleeping giant Ipswich Town.
"I can’t wait to contribute to the future success as a co-owner and a board member. I am excited to feel the unbelievable energy #portmanroad and meet the fans!
"Feel lucky to be part of this massive club!"
- 1 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints
- 2 The Botanist looking for staff ahead of rumoured Ipswich opening
- 3 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 4 'A bridge too far' - Crane Sports boss Radnor speaks out as club pull out of League
- 5 Bargain hunters queue through town for Debenhams sale
- 6 'Amazing response' as pictures of post box toppers reach America
- 7 Stunning home worth nearly £1m nears completion at Felixstowe Ferry
- 8 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 9 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 10 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton