Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- Credit: Steve Waller - www.stephenwaller
The smile was etched on the face of all those associated with Ipswich Town as the Blues finally secured their first win of the season at Lincoln City.
Macauley Bonne scored the winner as the Blues got their campaign up-and-running, on an afternoon where Town showcased their defensive ability as much as their attacking flair at Sincil Bank.
A huge roar erupted from the away end, housing 1,700 Town fans, at full-time as fists pumped on the pitch, following a difficult start to the season.
And a second wave of celebrations followed as CEO Mark Ashton, who has worked to assemble Paul Cook's brand new squad throughout the summer, ran to towards the traveling supporters.
The suited chief executive slapped hands with every supporters in the front row of the away end before coming back for more, as 'Mark Ashton is a Blue, he hates Norwich' rang out from the Stacey West Stand.
Speaking after the game, manager Cook said: "To win 1-0 was great. I would have liked 2-0 if I’m honest with you, just to settle my nerves!
"Football’s tough, isn’t it? In my managerial career I’ve had a lot more ups than downs. Latterly has probably been the most consistent downs I’ve had in my time. I’ve got no credits at this club with supporters. At Wigan, when we had bad runs, I had credits. With our fans today I think we’ve made a tiny step with them seeing what Paul Cook sides are about.
- 1 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 4 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 5 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 6 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 7 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 8 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 9 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 10 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
"We had desire in us today. We desperately wanted to win. We’ve got to show that every week."