Roy: We deserved better
IPSWICH Town boss Roy Keane believed that his players deserved a lot better, following the heartbreak of conceding a last-minute goal at Barnsley.Town were on course for a deserved draw, until Jon Macken drilled home in the fifth and final minute of injury-time to hand the Tykes a 2-1 win.
IPSWICH Town boss Roy Keane believed that his players deserved a lot better, following the heartbreak of conceding a last-minute goal at Barnsley.
Town were on course for a deserved draw, until Jon Macken drilled home in the fifth and final minute of injury-time to hand the Tykes a 2-1 win.
Town are now cast adrift at the bottom of the table, five points away from safety, after no wins in 11 league games.
You may also want to watch:
“We're stuck in a rut, so we have to try and get out of it,” admitted Keane.
The Irishman reserved his main gripe for referee Phil Gibbs, not his players.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 7 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
Keane was incensed with Mr Gibbs' performance, and in particular his two decisions to award Barnsley a penalty (Tommy Smith's alleged trip on Iain Hume) and then the last-gasp free kick that led to the winning goal.
“We deserve better. There's not too much I can say to the players, because their desire and attitude cannot be faulted,” continued Keane.
“But some things are out of our control. What about their penalty? I had never seen anything like it in my career! I was very disappointed with that decision.
“I have asked to see the referee, because I want to ask him why he gave that decision. I'm entitled to do that. Our lives depend on such decisions.”