It's seven heaven for East Bergholt

SIL SOCCER: All the SIL soccer action with a full round-up of the weekend's action.


East Bergholt 7 Stanton 3

IN the changing room before the start of this game Stanton boss Terry Pearce emphasised to his fourth-placed side that they would find out in this match how far they had progressed this season.

Unfortunately for Pearce's side, their hosts chose the last day of British summertime to play to their full potential and romped to a 7-3 victory.

After an opening quarter of an hour which produced little to suggest the fireworks to come, East Bergholt took the lead when Gedny pounced at the far post to toe poke home after a goalmouth scamble from a corner.

Within a minute Gedny had scored a second when Wilcox closed down Baker and his clearance was sublimely lobbed into the net from 35 yards. Gedny was robbed of a hat-trick in as many minutes when a defender just beat him to a header only to see it thunder into his own net.

Most Read

Stanton then had their only chance of the first half when Andrews somehow scrambled a Hazelton free-kick away under intense pressure from a couple of onrushing forwards.

Bergholt resumed their onslaught on the Stanton defence and good play from Turner and Gedny released M Jorgensen who beat substitute keeper Mustoe to a 50/50 ball and slotted home.

Howell should then have earned a penalty before Wilcox and Gedny failed to convert five good chances in as many minutes. In the end Gedny gained his hat-trick with a fantastic volley from 20 yards just before half-time.

The second half started in the same vein with Mustoe making a great reflex save from Jorgensen before superb play from Howell and Turner ended with Gedny effortlessly gliding home Turner's cross.

Stanton shocked Bergholt when they pulled a goal back with a majestic volley from Bloomfield but their joy was shortlived when Pratt picked up the ball in the centre circle and waltzed through the defence to score Bergholt's seventh.

Further chances came and went for the home side but it was Stanton who had the better of the closing stages as Gooderham stroked home two penalties following clumsy tackles by Jorgensen.

Old Newton 1 Stonham Aspel 2

THIS local derby lived up to pre-match billing with both sides committed to attacking football and a feast of goalmouth action to keep both sets of supporters happy.

Old Newton dominated play in the first quarter with Zarkos creating problems to the visitors' defence and numerous goal scoring chances being missed by his fellow attackers.

Stonham broke out of defence to go ahead in the 20th minute as Newton failed to cut out a cross from Harrall and veteran striker Bennett stole in to tap home.

Old Newton levelled six minutes after the break with a well-taken goal by Zarkos, who collected a cross from Evans to volley home.

The Newton manager brought on all three substitutes on the hour – the movement putting new life into his attack with keeper Lay denying Richards and Smythe volleying into the arms of the keeper. Striker Moye netted a winner for Stonham in the 85th minute when his shot through a packed goalmouth finished in the bottom corner of the net.

Achilles 0 Ipswich Athletic 1

A GOAL by Alan Ford in the 76th minute was all it took to put Ipswich Athletic top of the Metallic Senior League level on points with Walsham-le-Willows.

Achilles deserved at least a point but they missed at least four or five very good chances.

As early as the eighth minute Richards saw his shot from eight yards deflected before Deller hit a post and then shot over with only the keeper to beat. Athletic goalkeeper Jason Evans then made a great save to tip Michael Reader's shot over the bar.

The only reply from the visitors was a Dean Harold shot from ten yards but his shot was brilliantly blocked by Grant Richards.

Ipswich Athletic threatened more in the second half and shots by Alan Mills and Mark Howard brought the best out of goalkeeper Grant Richards.

The only goal came when the Achilles defence were caught square from along clearance down the middle. Alan Ford was clear and easily lobbed Richards to steal the points.

Bramford 2 Crane Sports 1

CRANES opened well with some good early pressure and scored within the first five minutes.

Bramford started to dominate the game with a good ball from Ditcham, which put through Martin Stuart, who finished powerfully.

Then a corner from Brill saw Grimsy powerfully head home to give the hosts a 2-1 interval lead.

Bramford had a free-kick in the second period on the six-yard line which was cleared.

Woodbridge Athletic 1 Haughley 8

TO rub salt into Athletic's wounds Haughley manager Gary Nunn explained he had six squad players missing for this game.

On this form and with that back up Haughley could have a big say in this year's championship race.

They did not sit back facing a fierce wind but attacked from the start. Athletic were shocked after just three minutes when Huggins found the top corner of the net from 20 yards. Athletic survived further scares but in the 23rd minute drew level after Broom picked up a loose ball and hit a high looping shot over keeper Hayden.

Athletic keeper Mitchell stuck out a foot to divert a goalbound shot from Huggins but Haughley went back in the lead through Thompson who slotted home a penalty on 33 minutes. Two minutes later a lovely run from Noller ended with Huggins netting from close range.

Haughley began the second half where they left off with Moggan firing in on 48 minutes. Noller made it nap hand with a low left-foot drive in the 63rd minute.

Powell met a low driven corner to flick in at the near post in the 70th minute and Hawes drove home from 25 yards past a frustrated Mitchell in the 77th minute.

In the last minute Powell repeated his corner kick speciality this time with a firm header.

Capel Plough 0 Leiston St Margaret's 4

THE visitors went in front in the first minute when Ford scored from the penalty spot after Anderson had been fouled. Capel had the edge for most of the first period but lacked penetration in front of goal with Walker saving well from Collins and Easton as the home side pushed forward.

A goal from Ford just after the break put the visitors in the driving seat and despite Capel putting on all three substitutes they were unable to find the although Vince should have had a penalty when fouled in the box but play was waved on.

The visitors finished strongly with goals from Pilkington and Calver in the last ten minutes to record their first win of the season against the struggling hosts.

Melton St Audry's 1 Grundisburgh 4

ALL five goals came during the hectic first half of this keenly contested local derby.

Martin Cotton notched a hat-trick, including two penalties and twice the home side survived efforts from King and Howell that came back off the woodwork.

Melton had the better of play during the second half, but Hatcher and his men at the back frustrated any comeback aspirations.

A rather harsh handball against Fosker enabled Cotton to slot home the first of his penalties after 21 minutes. Melton were level on the half hour – Simon Fryatt slotting home from 12 yards.

On 34 minutes, Mongan whipped in a low corner that allowed Messenger to restore Grundisburgh's lead. Then Cotton sent a rising right-footer screaming past McKenna into the top corner from 25 yards.

Three minutes later, McKenna guessed right to the second spot-kick, but the power of Cotton's shot was too much for the keeper.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter