Kesgrave’s Torwood Wheelers welcome potential new members
A weekend of wheel gymnastic workshops in Kesgrave attracted people from across the country as more than 20 people took to the wheels.
The Rhoenrads or wheel gymnastics sport is popular in Europe, but with only a handful of participants in the UK, the annual workshops run by Kesgrave’s Torwood Wheelers team offers a unique opportunity for those to engage with the sport.
Performers from as far afield as Berlin, Ireland, Bristol and Yorkshire were among this year’s intake.
John Colles, club founder and coach, said: “It’s been very good – it’s the only place where people can come for workshops, and quite a few people come back.”
The workshops involved training and skills sessions for those who already take part, as well as the chance for those looking to start to find out more.
The weekend also featured tuition from Kris Madden, a world leader in the Cyr wheel, the single ring version of the sport.
Following the workshops, the Torwood Wheelers performers – one of only two clubs in the country – then offered a performance showcasing some of their talents on a Rhoenrad.
- 1 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 2 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 3 Travellers pitch up in one of Ipswich's busiest parks
- 4 Two knives found in Ipswich park after six teenagers arrested
- 5 One of the world's largest container ships arrives at Port of Felixstowe
- 6 10-acre field fire breaks out in south Suffolk village
- 7 Open air theatre coming to Ipswich park later this month
- 8 Teenager’s 10 year sentence is warning over ‘horrendous’ acid attacks
- 9 Couple get engaged after abseiling down Ipswich Hospital block
- 10 Mobile phone and laptop stolen in spate of thefts from cars near Ipswich
Mr Colles continued: “We gave a demonstration but it’s mainly a training course to give people some idea of what we do.
“Everyone looked very happy so I think they all enjoyed it.
“A lot of people want to do it twice a year, but it’s getting hall space that is the issue.”
For anyone interested in finding out more or joining the Torwood Wheelers, visit rhoenrad.co.uk, or come along to one of the sessions every Thursday evening at Kesgrave Sports Hall.