Magilton sees red in Town defeat
Ujpest 3 Ipswich Town 2BLUES skipper Jim Magilton and Ujpest goal hero Peter Rojczi were both sent off as Ipswich suffered a disappointing night in their first ever game in Hungary.
Ujpest 3 Ipswich Town 2
BLUES skipper Jim Magilton and Ujpest goal hero Peter Rojczi were both sent off as Ipswich suffered a disappointing night in their first ever game in Hungary.
Magilton and Rojczi clashed with less than five minutes to go at the Szusza Ferenc Stadium, Budapest, which marred an otherwise absorbing game.
Rojczi appeared to butt Magilton, and in the ruckus that followed the referee sent both players off.
Often in that situation in friendly matches the referee will show common sense by giving the teams the chance to substitute the players involved.
Happily the final whistle brought handshakes and shirt-swapping all round, but it was the Hungarians who left satisfied and upbeat for the start of their season next weekend.
- 1 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 2 'Really concerning' – Shock after machete attack at Ipswich sports centre
- 3 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 4 Two teenagers charged after man injured in machete attack
- 5 Tributes paid to Ipswich man who could 'make magic happen'
- 6 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 7 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 8 New details of plans to convert Ipswich church into music venue revealed
- 9 Can you spot yourself in our Festival of Wheels gallery?
- 10 Another heatwave on its way as temperatures set to soar in Suffolk
See tonight's Evening Star for full story