Magilton sees red in Town defeat
Ujpest 3 Ipswich Town 2BLUES skipper Jim Magilton and Ujpest goal hero Peter Rojczi were both sent off as Ipswich suffered a disappointing night in their first ever game in Hungary.
Ujpest 3 Ipswich Town 2
BLUES skipper Jim Magilton and Ujpest goal hero Peter Rojczi were both sent off as Ipswich suffered a disappointing night in their first ever game in Hungary.
Magilton and Rojczi clashed with less than five minutes to go at the Szusza Ferenc Stadium, Budapest, which marred an otherwise absorbing game.
Rojczi appeared to butt Magilton, and in the ruckus that followed the referee sent both players off.
You may also want to watch:
Often in that situation in friendly matches the referee will show common sense by giving the teams the chance to substitute the players involved.
Happily the final whistle brought handshakes and shirt-swapping all round, but it was the Hungarians who left satisfied and upbeat for the start of their season next weekend.
- 1 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 2 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 3 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 4 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 6 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 7 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 8 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Daughter pays tribute to keen sailor with 'contagious energy'
See tonight's Evening Star for full story