Match marred by Skinner injury

JEWSON SOCCER: A round-up of the local action from the Jewson League First Division.


Hadleigh 2 Cornard 2

HADLEIGH'S last home match of the season ended all square after a splendid contest which was marred when the home team's defender Dean Skinner sustained a knee injury in the second half which meant an ambulance being called to the ground.

In a goalless first half it was the woodwork plus two brilliant saves by Athey, to deny Arnold and Grant, which stopped Hadleigh going ahead. At the other end Ford's effort was splendidly pushed over the bar by goalkeeper Godbold just before the interval.

HADLEIGH went ahead early in the second period when a shot from Dennett was pushed out by Athey and Broomfield converted the loose ball. Ford quickly equalised but Hadleigh scored again as Broomfield headed against the post and Arnold scored into an empty net.

Another splendid strike by Ford levelled the scores once again and Athey made great saves from Broomfield and Welton while at the other end goalkeeper Godbold made a smart save when Ford broke through.

Most Read

Needham Market 7 Somersham 1

AS THE scoreline suggests Needham were in total control of this fixture.

After the midweek defeat the team showed more desire than of late and in the end could easily have reached double figures.

To be fair to Somersham they played some neat football in areas of the field that did not hurt Needham.

Defensively they were often leaving wide areas open for attacks to be mounted, especially down the flanks. Karl Sandilands and Ashleigh Hawes were given freedom to put in telling crosses virtually unmarked.

The first goal was put into his own net by defender Anderson after Hawes had crossed from the right wing. Robbie Hill had a stinging shot saved by Smith but it fell invitingly to Hawes who shot home for number two. Just before the break Marc Wake chipped the advancing keeper with a delicate finish that ended just under the bar.

Somersham had missed a couple of half chances, one from Cooke and the other from Green, the first bringing out a great save from Matt Fenn.

After the break a fourth soon followed, another own goal this time by Green. In the last quarter Neil Cole, Colin Sinclair and Sandilands added further goals and in each case they were well constructed moves finished off powerfully by the Needham players.

The home team now finish fifth in the division after this victory, but the effort and the football played by the team throughout the season has been very good for the spectators to see.

Also the young players now have a season of Jewson football under their belts and will be better for that experience.

Thetford 0 Whitton 4

WHITTON made their intentions known as early as the first minute.

Wright skipped through the Thetford defence only for O'Farrell who made a string of wonder saves throughout the game, to block on the edge of the area.

Thetford, who had been stubborn opponents for the two promoted sides recently, offered little resistance in the final game for their manager Peter Jones.

Hurd was caught late in the second minute, Eaton dispatched the penalty high into the roof of the net. Swann and Hurd tormented the Thetford rearguard at regular intervals. Swann made it two, nodding in Moore's cut back, and the same player spun to hit a shot through a crowded box just before half time.

The second period lost some of its urgency after Moore's cross from the corner flag beat the jump of keeper O'Farrell to find the far side of the goal.

Whitton complete their season at home to Hadleigh on Wednesday.