Muncey leads way at Purdis Heath
GOLF: AS part of the Ipswich Golf Club ladies section centenary celebrations, a County Invitation Day was held recently at Purdis Heath when all the ladies captains and ladies vice-captains from all the clubs in Suffolk were invited.
AS part of the Ipswich Golf Club ladies section centenary celebrations, a County Invitation Day was held recently at Purdis Heath when all the ladies captains and ladies vice-captains from all the clubs in Suffolk were invited.
Margaret Bryant, the Ipswich ladies captain, and lady members hosted a Greensomes
competition with members of the Ipswich club each partnering a guest.
The county president, Molly Gillingwater, and the county second team captain, Lorraine Robins, were also invited. Widge Sinclair, the county captain, was unable to attend due to a prior commitment at the English Girls Championship in Bristol.
The day was preceded by a light lunch and concluded with an excellent buffet supper and prize-giving.
Mrs Bryant, in her prize-giving speech, recalled from the old minute book that at a special general meeting held on November 2, 1911, Ipswich voted to join the Suffolk Ladies Golf Union.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 5 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 8 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 9 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 10 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault
At a committee meeting held on November 24, 1925, a representative from Ipswich attended a meeting convened to set up the County Club as it was called. The County Club started in 1926 and Ipswich were there at the beginning.
39 pts- Jean Muncey (vice-captain of Aldeburgh) and Anne Archer; 38- Liz Robinson (Bury St Edmunds captain) and Angela Key; 37- Stephanie Mendham (Diss captain) and Sheila Alcock on countback from Suzanne Mason (Flempton captain) and Suzanne Lambon; 36- Pamela Randle (Stoke-by-Nayland captain) and Diane Thorndyke; 35- Janet Turney (vice-captain Southwold) and Pamela Gosling on countback from Jackie Whitwell (Royal Worlington captain) and Jenni Alexander.