Nicola breaks FIVE club bests
SWIMMING: Stowmarket swimmers have launched their annual Club Championship programme with an explosive sprints session at the home pool.On a night that saw club records smashed across all age groups and in all strokes, a full gallery of spectators were treated to an evening of exciting swimming and excellent performances.
By Debbie Watson
STOWMARKET swimmers have launched their annual Club Championship programme with an explosive sprints session at the home pool.
On a night that saw club records smashed across all age groups and in all strokes, a full gallery of spectators were treated to an evening of exciting swimming and excellent performances.
You may also want to watch:
Several swimmers managed to win all five of their events on the night, but special glory belonged to one particular 12-year-old.
Nicola Prowse took the five wins and broke all five club records in the process.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 3 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 4 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 7 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 8 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 9 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions
- 10 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
An obvious young talent, Nicola achieved the double in the 50m fly, 50m free, 50m breast, 50m back and 100m individual medley, setting new personal best times in all events with the exception of the backstroke.
Also achieving all five age-group winners medals were 11-year-old Nicola Morgan (two new club records), 12-year-old Joshua McMullan (one new record), 13-year-old James Christopher (one new record), 15-year-old James Mockford, and Shaun Harrison, 23, with three new records.
Seven other swimmers setting new club records were Emma Carter (50m fly), Louise Christopher (50m back), Jessica Beatty (50m back, 50m breast, 100m IM), Alison Brown (100m IM), Adam Batchelor (50m fly, 50m back, 50m free, 50m IM) and Marc Offord (50m breast).
Bobby Wilson, Stowmarket swimming club president said, "The Stowmarket club championships give all of our swimmers, regardless of their ability, the chance to swim in a competitive event.
"From the nine-year-olds, for whom this will be their first taste of competitive swimming, through to our district level swimmers, this is an opportunity to win races, set new records and to try to swim faster than they have ever before.
"To have 215 personal best times recorded during just one evening of swimming is a major achievement for the club."
Wilson added: "On top of this we are pleased that the competition is a truly inclusive event with both able-bodied and swimmers with disabilities swimming side by side."