Palmer hat-trick helps Ipswich to win

HOCKEY: Ipswich 5 Chelmsford II 2. Ipswich continued their winning ways in the Printwize East Premier Division with an impressive victory.In their last game before the Christmas break, Ipswich were looking for another three points to take them well clear of the relegation zone.


Ipswich 5 Chelmsford II 2

IPSWICH continued their winning ways in the Printwize East Premier Division with an impressive victory.

In their last game before the Christmas break, Ipswich were looking for another three points to take them well clear of the relegation zone.

Chelmsford started the brighter and looked like taking the lead through Rob Wallbank, whose first time shot was well saved by Stuart Hendy.

Ipswich then played themselves back into the match and slick passing between the midfield and forwards created chance after chance.

Most Read

The Suffolk side have been guilty of not taking most of their opportunities and it looked like this would be no exception.

Richard Fox, Paul Calver and James Smith all had chances, but the deadlock was eventually broken through a wonderful display of individual skill.

Richard Stainthorpe picked up the ball deep inside the Chelmsford half and beat four defenders before making space for himself to slip the ball past Dan Tilly.

Chelmsford were soon on level terms when Matt Bell scored from a short corner after 25 minutes.

Ipswich totally dominated the second half and Chelmsford were guilty of slack defending and lapses in concentration.

The home side took the lead again from the penalty spot through Chris Palmer following a foul by Tilly on Stainthorpe.

The home side increased their lead seven minutes later when an attacking move down the left flank saw Calver's precision pass find Fox on the back line. He passed to Palmer who sent the ball high into the net.

Despite a two-goal cushion, Ipswich still looked vulnerable and Chelmsford made the most of their few second half chances. They managed to pull another goal back through David Kitchener following good work from Josh Mipham.

Sensing another potential 'banana skin', Ipswich were not content with holding on to a slender lead. Victory was sealed five minutes from time when James Smith scored his first goal for the club.

The ex-Harleston player fired the ball home after a short corner was switched to him on the right hand side.

There was still enough time for Ipswich to score a fifth goal and this time it came courtesy of a splendid move on the right-hand side.

Matt Walker stole the ball on the half-way line and his accurate pass found Smith. His pass into the danger area found Darren Bosher with only the keeper to beat.

But unselfishly he drew Tilly out of position and laid the ball square to Palmer to score into the open net to for a richly-deserved hat-trick.

Pelicans 0 IES Ladies 4

IPSWICH East Suffolk enjoyed an excellent weekend with strong commitment on both Saturday and Sunday.

They made a return trip to King's Lynn to play a match originally postponed.

The visitors, in a fresh frame of mind, were solid throughout, working the ball about the pitch to their hosts' frustrations.

The first goal came from a short corner strike by Katy Edwards followed by a classy turn and hit from Cathy Brierly.

Pelicans were never strong enough to worry the IES defence, who stood their ground firmly. The entire squad played with strength and determination.

IES improved their score with a strike from Gill Mayhew. The fourth and final goal came from youngest player Hannah Godden, who with confidence played round the keeper and into the goal, giving IES a well deserved win and three points.

The second team were defeated by Lowestoft firsts 5-3, but the thirds took another three points with nine goals against Lowestoft II – only giving away one goal.

Sunday IES were back in action in the East region play-offs held at Essex University. They took the title of East region champions going through to play away to Sailsbury next month after beating Old Differions 4-3 and Crostyx 2-1.

Christchurch 10 Haverhill 0

CHRISTCHURCH started their festive celebrations early with a Christmas Yuletide good feast, and notched up ten of the best against Haverhill.

The presents started as early as the fifth minute when Debbie Clements drilled home an accurate cross, to open the scoring. Becky Hudson crowned her new stick with a goal just minutes later.

Val Coote was next on the scoresheet after a goalmouth melee which left the Haverhill goalkeeper grounded.

Trudy Sharman after good work on the right wing found herself with a golden opportunity to increase the lead and beautifully lifted her shot over the keeper.

The second half started just as promisingly and Sapphire Cutting met the incoming ball ahead of the defender to whip home another chance.

Minutes later after impressive work by Coote. Sharman was in the right place for a simple tap-in for her second goal.

From the next short corner Lesley Elsom let fly with a thunderous shot to open her account for the season.

Sheri Garnham was next on the scoresheet to score her first goal for the club although it was helped home by a deflection from a Haverhill defender.

Coote then got her second of the game, rounding a couple of defenders before slotting home.

Cutting then rounded off the scoring with the tenth goal, before going into hospital for a knee operation.

This completed an impressive morning's work for Christchurch where all the forwards and midfielders managed to get themselves on the scoresheet.

Carlton Park II 3 Christchurch II 0

CHRISTCHURCH were a goal down after just 19 seconds in this thoroughly entertaining game, that was a lot closer than the scoreline suggested.

Park's first goal came from a free hit. The ball was well worked in the D and Jenny McShane had the time and space to turn and hit a crisp shot to the keeper's left.

Carlton Park started the game very strongly and Christchurch initially struggled to match their power and speed on break. On 14 minutes Park made it 2-0 as Christchurch were caught out playing a very high defensive line.

After some good work at the halfway line, the ball was played to McShane who ran half the length of the pitch and slide the ball under the goalkeeper's body.

Christchurch were unlucky not to reduce the arrears on 28 minutes Debbie Munro's shot beat the keeper comfortable but flew off the inside off the post.

The second half started as disastrously for Christchurch as the first. Just two minutes after the break it was 3-0 as some scrappy play on half way was punished by another breakaway goal by McShane.

The rest of the second half was a tale of missed opportunities for Christchurch.

After some good work by Redbond and Munro, Gray narrowly missed at the far post and when Munro and Gray exchanged passes in the best move of the match, Lenore Devonish-Meares scooped just wide.

Christchurch's luck in front of goal was summoned up in the last minute as Margaret Gray produced a mazy run which left two defenders in her wake, only to steer the ball wide.