Pipers Vale gymnasts win British titles
Pipers Vale Gymnastics Club have made history after Jaime Smith and Halle Hilton were crowned British champions.
Eight-year-old Jaime became British champion at Elite Grade 4 by 0.050 of a mark, while Halle, nine, was joint-first along with Ondine Achampong in Elite Grade 3 at the National Elite Grades Finals in Birmingham.
Their feats mirrored the achievements of club-mates Alice Foster (Grade 4) and Sophie Caparn (Grade 3) who did the same eight years ago.
Back then, Sophie and Alice ensured Pipers Vale became the first club to boast double British champions at the event, and that feat has not been repeated until now.
Six gymnasts took part in the Grade 4 competition along with Jaime, including Kerry Hegarty, Ellie Gargett, Helena Hall, Emily Roper and Maisie Squire.
Jaime, Kerry and Ellie were part of the East Region team and won silver, while Helena, Emily and Maisie had qualified as individuals.
Jaime’s achievement means she will be in with a chance of qualifying for the National Under-12 squad if she can do similar in November at the Level Championships.
- 1 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
- 2 Two men spit at victim and demand money near Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 7 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 6 Lido cash bid could get restoration of much-loved pool underway
- 7 All four wheels stolen from BMW car parked outside home
- 8 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 9 Police 'concerned' for missing 17-year-old girl
- 10 Travel: Our night at boutique hotel with rooftop bar and incredible views
Pipers Vale head coach, Andy Wood MBE, said: “To repeat the feat of the girls who did it eight years ago was incredible.
“We knew we had a chance but to actually do it was brilliant.
“Jaime and Halle went there knowing they had an opportunity to do well but didn’t have much knowledge about the rest of the competitors.
“Jaime won by 0.50 – her event was nip and tuck – while in Halle’s event, you couldn’t get closer than a draw.”