Price not right for Wales
IPSWICH Town goalkeeper Lewis Price has withdrawn from the Wales squad to face Northern Ireland in Belfast tomorrow.The 22-year-old played in Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Crystal Palace and Wales were assured he was fit to drive to Cardiff to link up with the rest of the squad.
IPSWICH Town goalkeeper Lewis Price has withdrawn from the Wales squad to face Northern Ireland in Belfast tomorrow.
The 22-year-old played in Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Crystal Palace and Wales were assured he was fit to drive to Cardiff to link up with the rest of the squad.
But on arrival at the Vale of Glamorgan Hotel, it was soon clear after a medical examination that Price had a thigh strain - which meant he was immediately sent back to Ipswich.
An FA of Wales spokesman said: “Our medical people examined Lewis when he got to us and decided his thigh strain would stop him playing on Tuesday.”
You may also want to watch:
The loss of Price has plunged the Welsh into a goalkeeping crisis after losing both their first choice keepers inside 24 hours.
On Saturday night Sunderland's Darren Ward pulled out of Tuesday's friendly with a hamstring injury.
- 1 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 2 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 6 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 7 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 8 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 9 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 10 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
The loss of Price and Ward gives Welsh manager John Toshack severe problems as Burnley goalkeeper Coyne has not played a senior match for over 18 months due to a serious knee problem.
Toshack's other goalkeeping choice is 39-year-old Paul Jones, who is currently out of the QPR side.