Price's chance to earn number one jersey
LEWIS Price has his chance to snatch the number one Ipswich Town jersey away from Shane Supple tonight.Blues manager Jim Magilton admitted today that he is likely to decide on who wears number one on his back at the end the current six-day tour to Holland and Belgium.
By Elvin King
LEWIS Price has his chance to snatch the number one Ipswich Town jersey away from Shane Supple tonight.
Blues manager Jim Magilton admitted today that he is likely to decide on who wears number one on his back at the end the current six-day tour to Holland and Belgium.
Since Kelvin Davis moved to Sunderland 12 months ago the number one jersey has remained unused, with neither Price nor Supple being allocated it last campaign.
Magilton is expected to put that right this time around - and the indications are that the unlucky one will be made available to go out on loan.
Ipswich would then bring in an experienced number two to cover for injury.
- 1 'Despicable racism' condemned after letter in post
- 2 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 3 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 4 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 5 Ipswich man appears in court charged with child sex offences
- 6 Fire crews called to fire on flat balcony in busy Ipswich road
- 7 School in Ipswich 'proud' of good Ofsted report
- 8 Peugeot stolen from Ipswich pub car park
- 9 Homeless man allegedly stabbed man who offered help
- 10 Delays on A14 after Orwell Bridge incident
Supple played the whole game on Monday when Ipswich drew 1-1 with Dutch top league side Willem II, and he gave a faultless display.
Welsh international Price will be given his chance against Belgium outfit Zulte/Waregem tonight and he is expected to play for the full 90 minutes.
“I will look at Lewis tonight,” said Magilton from Town's hotel base in scorching southern Holland today.
“We are close to issuing our squad numbers for 2006/07 and I have to make a decision.
“Ipswich Town is fortunate to have two accomplished young keepers on their books, and whoever misses out on the number one jersey will be able to call themselves unlucky.
“Shane did very well on Monday, and I will be watching Lewis very closely tonight.”
Supple, an Ireland youth international, is favourite to take the number one jersey after a succession of top class performances in 2005/06.
Price began the season in the team, and did very little wrong. Whoever is considered second choice is unlikely to be happy in a support role, and with Ipswich not wanting to lose them they are likely to be loaned for the season so that they can saviour regular first team football.
Supple said: “Like Lewis I would like to wear number one, but we will have to wait and see. The main thing is that the team wins games and makes up for last season's disappointments.”