REPORTS: Double semi-final joy for Ipswich seniors and under-16 basketball players

Ipswich Basketball v Worcester Wolves.

Ipswich Basketball v Worcester Wolves. - Credit: Archant

Following back-to-back wins against league-leaders Derby Trailblazers, and Killamarsh, Ipswich faced old rivals Worcester Wolves for a place in the final of the Patron’s Cup and emerged 100-82 winners

Ipswich Basketball v Worcester Wolves.
Josh Johnson in action for Ipswich.

Ipswich Basketball v Worcester Wolves. Josh Johnson in action for Ipswich. - Credit: Archant

The game began, and the pace of it was almost frantic to start with. Guard Aaron Moseley hitting two three-pointers straightaway.

As the away team, Worcester knew they faced a raucous home crowd. They knew they had to execute their offence to stay in touch, and this they did with precision early on as they led 11-10.

Moseley hit another three, and the home team introduced swing-man Luke Mascall-Wright for a period of time as starter Josh Johnson was called for his second foul – with Worcester leading 18-15.

Moseley hit another basket, followed by a three from captain Tom Sadler, to pull Ipswich back on level terms, but already Ipswich were finding that their big men were getting in foul trouble. Mascall-Wright hit a three-pointer, but Worcester remained solid, despite Ipswich ending the first period 29-24 to the good.

The second period began like clockwork as Moseley hit another three to signal his intentions. But Turner was also having a great game for Worcester. He hit two three’s in a row to keep the Ipswich team and crowd quiet.

Ipswich had been forced to go with a young, agile line-up due to foul trouble, and because of Worcester’s lack of size this worked in their favour, before the home team re-introduced their big guns.

Most Read

Greenan almost immediately rejected a shot that had his opponent on the floor and the home crowd on their feet, and with guard Josh Johnson completing a three-point play, Ipswich were firing on all cylinders and held a 41-34 lead.

Big centre Leigh Greenan was unstoppable in the paint however, Worcester having no answer for his size and power.

But once again, foul trouble would blight Ipswich’s plan, with forward Colin Dockrell picking up his third foul. Ipswich again went with their young run-and-gun offence, and again the team delivered, with Ipswich leading 54-46 at the half.

The third quarter began in a similarly frantic fashion to the first half but the whole Worcester team were playing solid defence, with Ipswich playing arguably their most offensively consistent game of the season.

However, when Sadler and Moseley hit big three-pointers , Ipswich pulled out to a 63-50 lead, and were in cruise control.

Worcester, despite their very best efforts, looked like a team who were starting to get worn down by the intensity of Ipswich’s onslaught.

Ipswich came out in the fourth and final period of the game with a big line-up, looking to slow the game down and dominate physically. And it worked, with Moseley setting a club record with nine three-pointers in a game, and the younger members of the team all delivering when called upon, as Ipswich reached the final with a 100-82 scoreline.

In the club’s first-ever sponsored match day, local company ‘Anything Print’ gave Aaron Moseley an MVP award for his stellar performance in setting a club record by hitting nine three-pointers in a game.

Under-16s National Cup

Ipswich 78

Solent 70

Ipswich U16s hosted Solent Kestrels for a place in the final of the national cup.

And it was Ipswich who progressed, winning 78-70 in an action-packed encounter.

The visitors were the first to score after Johnny Hall missed both his free-throws, but Rory Winter soon replied with a reverse scoop that kissed the glass to drop in.

Mark James then took control of the home side’s offence, scoring 10 straight points before Adam Darbous came off the bench to score and convert a free throw. The first quarter ended in Ipswich’s favour with a lead of 22-19.

The Suffolk side upped their defence and took advantage of the fact Solent were in foul trouble. Hall extended the lead.

With 30 seconds remaining, Darbous hit the first three of the game then forced a stop that led to Winter hitting an alley-oop 20-footer on the buzzer to send the crowd wild, and Ipswich into a 47-35 lead.

The second half saw Mark James take control, being aggressive on the break and scoring seven points before Darbous hit his second three of the game. The period finished 62-50 but Solent weren’t going to go away.

Ben Mobee and Winter took the lead to 15 but Solent brought it to within three with two minutes left. James made one of his layups, then after a turnover from the whites, Darbous sealed the game with another superb three-pointer.