Royal has hopes crushed
INDOOR BOWLS: Ipswich's Mark Royal saw his dream of winning the £70,000 BUPA International Open bowls title foiled by Welsh International Jason Greenslade as he chased a quarter-final place at the Ponds Forge Arena, Sheffield.
IPSWICH'S Mark Royal saw his dream of winning the £70,000 BUPA International Open bowls title foiled by Welsh International Jason Greenslade as he chased a quarter-final place at the Ponds Forge Arena, Sheffield.
Royal, who reached the semi-finals of this tournament in 2000, looked poised to take the opening set when he hit back from 3-1 down, scoring a single and treble to leap ahead 5-3 with just two ends to play.
However, the Suffolk ace was stunned as Greenslade clawed back two successive singles to draw the set 5-5.
You may also want to watch:
That turned the second set into a decider and Royal moved into a 3-1 lead with four ends to play.
However, it was Greenslade who delivered the goods in the charge to the line, stringing together four successive singles to edge through 5-3, securing his place in the last eight.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 5 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out