Royal's rink inspires Ipswich triumph
BOWLS: IN the Egham (Mixed Fours) Trophy Ipswich and District IBC having disposed of Felixstowe and Mid Suffolk in previous rounds, faced Turpins (Saffron Walden) IBC in a second round tie.
IN the Egham (Mixed Fours) Trophy Ipswich and District IBC having disposed of Felixstowe and Mid Suffolk in previous rounds, faced Turpins (Saffron Walden) IBC in a second round tie.
The clubs had not met before, Turpins being one of the newest clubs in the Eastern Area.
However, they proved to be tough opponents, and led from the start until 18 ends, when they held a seven-shot advantage.
But the Ipswich team then responded with 25 shots to five over the last three ends to finish 85-72 winners.
At Turpins both visiting rinks fought back from being 15 shots adrift at 15 ends to go down by just six shots.
At Ipswich Mark Royal's rink provided the backbone of the eventual success with a 33-9 demolition of the visitors. Thus, a match which at one stage looked to be a lost cause for Ipswich was turned round in the final stages.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 5 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 8 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 9 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 10 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault
At Ipswich (48 shots -29): L Fordham 15, J Chapman 20, M Royal 33, T Shoebridge 9.
At Turpins (37 shots –43): T Flegg 15, A Jones 18, P Last 22, A Foster 25.
Scores at 5 ends 19-20, 10 ends 33-37, 15 ends 48-8, 18 ends 60-67.
Ipswich will now meet Colchester in the third round on Sunday, January 13.